Trump Lease of Old Post Office - A pending breach?

Guest Vern Edwards

Well I can't help myself......means if Mr. Trump doesn't go into the building all is good?

Seriously, your point does give pause for thought,  I did not  pull that out as the key.  Quick thought is that if the LLC is made up of other entities that are not sole proprietorships (inclusive of Mr. Trump) how far do you go to conclude that an elected official is admitted to share, part, benefit?  From posts and other readings it seems that the LLC is made up of other entities rather than individuals.     Leads me back to my initial thoughts,  if and when does a shareholder to an LLC or multiple levels actually receive share, part, benefit and I would add now does it matter what that value of share, part, benefit is it that they ultimately receive? If there are multiple levels of entities that the benefit flows through does it become de minimis when the elected official finally realizes the share, part, benefit?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone still interested in this topic, in March, the GSA Contracting Officer concluded that the hotel lease is valid.  As one would expect, there is still disagreement amongst contracting professionals regarding that determination.

The article linked below contains embedded links to the GSA Contracting Officer's letter, NPR's previous coverage, and an interview with Prof. Schooner regarding his thoughts on the lease.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/23/521283505/gsa-says-trump-d-c-hotel-lease-is-valid-despite-ban-on-elected-officials

On May 3, 2017 at 8:58 AM, PepeTheFrog said:

"worst real estate deal, ever...maybe in the history of real estate deals"

I doubt that.  I wouldn't mind getting paid $250k a month rent ($3,000,000 per year) since the lease was signed in late 2013 for an old, money losing (read: Treasury draining) building that the tenant invested over $200 million to renovate and will likely keep renovating over the course of the 60 year lease. The lease was signed approximately three years prior to the election and three years prior to the opening.

Gimmee a break, already! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more concerned about the implications of not agreeing with Drabkin:  those with business ties to the government, however obtuse, can never, ever,  hope to run for public office.

Now; who might be the primary beneficiaries of  a paradigm whereby only those who have prepared their whole lives for the job of POTUS are eligible?...