Partial Performance-based Contracting: SOW and SOO

Belka

Hi,

I am reviewing a SOO (per FAR 37.6) from a technical office.  Mostly traditionally performance-based, it does contain prescriptive elements of "how" under certain IRs akin to a traditional SOW.  Though unusual given the differing purposes, I see nothing in the FAR or my agency supplement that prohibits the mixing of PBC with more traditional methods if it makes logical operational sense.  Does anyone have examples where a SOO and SOW were mixed (e.g. as separate sections) under one solicitation?  In my case, neither would be on a fixed-price basis.

thanks

The first question I would ask the technical office is the reason for the "how" to prescriptive elements.  If something needs accomplished in a set way, make that part of the "constraints" section of the SOO.  In other words you say "these are the objectives of the acquisition, however certain items listed as constraints need complied with."    For example security reasons or interfacing with another project may require work to be performed a certain way.