Annual Surveillance (pre-CPSR)

For those of you who have had recent annual surveillances by your ACO/CACO (or delegate)... 

(1) how many PO files have they requested?

2) how formal has the surveillance process been (e.g., is there a report, expectation of a reply, and a  final determination)?, and

3) how long has the reviews lasted (e.g., # of days, # of weeks, # of months)?

Thank you for your help!

Guest Vern Edwards

What do you expect to learn from this inquiry? The answers to your questions are dependent on a variety of facts. Unless you know the facts underlying the answers you receive, what you learn may not be of much use. A lot will depend on the workload of the office conducting the review.

Do you work for one of the large aerospace-defense firms or for a smaller company? How many government contracts do you have and what is the average dollar value? How many POs have you issued and what is the average value? (In theory, the number of files reviewed is based on sample sizes determined by population size, as prescribed by random sampling methods.) When was the last time your company went through the process, or will this be the first time? What is your relationship with your ACO/CACO? I could go on.

Do you really think that every company that undergoes such a review has the same experience?

Check this out: http://govcon360.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/33-Preparing-for-the-CPSR-A-practical-Guide.pdf

and look at this: http://www.dcma.mil/policy/109/CPSR_Guidebook.pdf

Correct...  We are hoping DCMA will maintain some consistency in the surveillance process.

Brief background: We were supposed to have our first surveillance this week.  Our CACO initially requested 75 PO files (hard-copy files knowing we have a 100% SAP paperless approved purchasing system).  When we gingerly pushed-back, the CACO changed the count to 45.  We believe the sample size is still too high based on what we understand from talking to other industry representatives (i.e., Avg. 20/25).  The CACO has also stated that the review will be formal, with weekly meetings, and it will continue through Dec 2016.  We believe this is too long and it will disrupt our regular work.   

We are trying to find-out what everyone else's experience has been - that's all. 

MrJP,

Honestly, "everyone else's experience" is not going to convince your CACO to scale back the review. It's your turn and you are going to get what you get. Might as well stop complaining about it.

And I'm not convinced that the planned review is going to disrupt your work all that much.

1. You provide the files. DCMA looks at them. If you are lucky, you get immediate questions that you can quickly answer. If unlucky, questions are saved for the weekly meetings.

2. You have weekly meetings to discuss questions and concerns. You address those questions/concerns. The meeting ends.

3. Repeat for three months.

I get it's a distraction but I'm not seeing the overwhelming disruption. Is your procurement staff not prepared to defend their files?

Hope this helps.

Guest Vern Edwards
4 hours ago, MrJP said:

We are hoping DCMA will maintain some consistency in the surveillance process... We believe the sample size is still too high based on what we understand from talking to other industry representatives (i.e., Avg. 20/25). 

You don't seem to understand.

Sample size is a statistical concept used in quality assurance. Sample size is determined by population size. There is no industry standard sample  size. That would be stupid. Did you read the DCMA guidebook to which I provided a link? It explains the process of sample determination.

Everyone else's experience of sample size will tell you nothing at all unless you know the size of everyone else's population of POs. When you say that you think the sample size is "still too high" (i.e., too large), on what do you base your thinking? Statistical standards, or some vague notion of yours about what seems right? 

Do yourself a favor. Read the stuff to which I provided a link.