Paid by the Word?

So I tried to read through the new final rule, "Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces" -- and thanks Bob (once again) for keeping me informed on new regulations. Anyway, the .pdf version clocked in at 508 pages long. 508 pages. That was not a typo.

Is this some kind of record?

I'm used to reading proposed and final FAR rules, but the length of this one defeated me. I guess I'll wait for the law firms to summarize the new requirements.

Apparently, there was much said.

A first extension of the period for public comments on the FAR rule, to August 11, 2015, was published on July 14, 2015. A second extension, to August 26, 2015, was published on August 5, 2015. There were 927 respondents that made comments on the FAR proposed rule. Including mass mailings, about 12,600 responses were received on the FAR proposed rule. Respondent organizations typically submitted their responses to both DOL and FAR dockets. DOL, DoD, GSA, and NASA worked together and closely coordinated review and disposition of the comments.

If someone wants to read the rule, scroll up from the bottom.  Does this thing cost the public just short of $1 billion a year?

This could create a new market--training to explain this rule.

Guest Vern Edwards

The 509 page version of the FAC implementing Executive Order 13673, Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces, is not in the official format. As it appears in the actual Federal Register format, 81 FR 58562, FAC 2005-90 is 90 pages long. Most of the pages, about 65, are devoted to recounting public comments and responding to them. It's pretty interesting, actually, and is required reading for anyone with ambitions to achieve SES status and anyone who is seriously interested in how our politics and government work.

The Department of Labor has simultaneously published "final guidance," 81 FR 58654, which is 116 pages long.

Indirect cost rates are about to go up.