Authorized Signature

ACQCON

Good morning Contracting Professionals,

My command has a $750M procurement project.  A Level III Procuring Contracting Officer is assigned with commensurate warrant for the project.  Acquisition Plans, Source Selection Plans, Business Clearance, release of the contract require appropriate warrant level to sign. 

Market Research Report, Inclusion of Options, Request For Proposal in SPS, etc. does not require warrant levels for signature and release.

My question is   Can other Level III contracting officers with less than $750M warrant have authority to sign documents related to the $750M project?

Thank you.

The answer is going to depend on your own agency regulations and culture.

For example:  option exercises.  I have been in an agency where the contracting officer signing the exercise had to have a warrant level appropriate for the potential value of the entire contract, and I am in an agency now where the contracting officer only needs a warrant level appropriate for the option being exercised.

Guest Vern Edwards
10 minutes ago, ACQCON said:

Can other Level III contracting officers with less than $750M warrant have authority to sign documents related to the $750M project?

I have not seen authority stated or limited in terms of program value. FAR 1.602-1, "Authority," says that COs have authority with regard to binding the government by contract. Other than determinations and findings, FAR 1.602-1 does not mention authority with regard to internal documents. The wording used on the Certificate of Appointment, SF 1402, may provide a clue. Otherwise, it will be a matter of agency policy and tradition.

Thank you all for the responses.  Our culture is once a PCO is assigned, on the that PCO or someone with similar warrant signs related documents.  But with our new command policy that limited higher level warrants to only the highest in position, the task of signing Market Research, Inclusion of Options and release of Request For Proposal in SPS that do not require warrant level is getting challenged.