Use of PPIRS Data in Source Selection

styrene

When my agency evaluates past performance in proposals, we use PPIRS data to evaluate performance risk:  usually High, Medium, or Low performance risk.

I have heard that some agencies are actually giving a "score" (adjectival or numerical) based on the PPIRS data when evaluating past performance in a source selection.  Knowing that the quality of the past performance data in PPIRS is by no means standard, I would find it difficult at best to downgrade vendors who received less than an excellent rating, and I think I would have a hard time supporting that evaluation score if the vendor protests.

Thoughts?  . Anyone here actually "scoring" Past Performance instead of using it as a risk indicator? 

Thanks for your input!

Guest Vern Edwards
3 hours ago, styrene said:

Anyone here actually "scoring" Past Performance instead of using it as a risk indicator? 

Of course. See, for example, the GAO's December 2015 decision in the matter of Adino, Inc., B-412144, 2016 CPD ¶ 7.

There is no governmentwide rule about how to handle past performance, whether to "score" it or use it to determine risk.

5 hours ago, styrene said:

Thoughts?  . Anyone here actually "scoring" Past Performance instead of using it as a risk indicator? 

Happens quite often - there are even some best value source selections where past performance is the only factor trading off with price - research the term "Past Performance Tradeoff" and look here: www.farsite.hill.af.mil/archive/affars/2009-0803/IG5315.101-1.doc (Disclaimer: this IG is archived and no longer part of the AFFARS)

Also, if you're uncomfortable with the data in PPIRS, maybe you should consider other means of assessing past performance.  I'm not sure what types of contracts you work on, but as an example, if you're contracting for commercial services you could consider using past performance surveys of contractors' performance in the commercial sector as well.

5 hours ago, styrene said:

Knowing that the quality of the past performance data in PPIRS is by no means standard, I would find it difficult at best to downgrade vendors who received less than an excellent rating, and I think I would have a hard time supporting that evaluation score if the vendor protests.

Is anything subjective standard?

Giving it a rating of High, Medium or Low performance risk is a form of scoring, isn't it?  What is the difference between a "risk indicator" and a "score"?  Either of them is used to judge the government's opinion on whether the contractor can successfully complete the task being competed.  Although not perfect, PPIRS is a good, relatively standardized, resource for past performance information.  Just like writing performance appraisals for employees, the value of the rating is only as good as the author, but I think it is an important tool to use.  My office will use it to develop a risk level (aka "score") but we will often go a step further and contact the government POC to ask further questions if we feel the information in PPIRS isn't adequate in order to do the best evaluation possible.