Broader Use of Qualifications-Based Source Selection?

Guest Vern Edwards

Guest Vern Edwards

ji20874;

Thanks for the good guidance. Please clarify one thing:

15 hours ago, ji20874 said:

Limit the application to "other professional services of an architectural or engineering nature or services incidental thereto."

Do you mean apply the Brooks Act only to such services, or do you mean apply it to such services on a selective basis?

I mean only apply it to real, bona fide professional services of an engineering nature, not to everything that we presently call engineering services.  A lot of what we presently call engineering services might not be professional services of an engineering nature.  

Guest Vern Edwards
1 hour ago, ji20874 said:

I mean only apply it to real, bona fide professional services of an engineering nature, not to everything that we presently call engineering services.  A lot of what we presently call engineering services might not be professional services of an engineering nature.  

Thanks. I presume that services are "real bona fide" engineering services if they must be performed by engineers and engineer technicians.

It seems to me that the evaluation and selection phase is very similar to evaluation in FAR Part 15 source selection and that cost or price analysis is cost or price analysis, so the biggest challenge of using Brooks Act procedures would be training COs to conduct one-on-one contract negotiations.

Anyone have any ideas about the best way to do that?

Vern,

There are many third party seminars available, as I'm sure you knew already.

Do you have an opinion on the seminars founded by Dr. Karrass?

H2H

Guest Vern Edwards

H2H:

In the late 1970s the Air Force put a lot of its contracting officers through Dr. Karrass's video course. I was one of them, and I thought it was great and very helpful. I still have my copy of his book, The Negotiating Game, which is still sold on Amazon. Harvard later published it's Getting To Yes, which supplanted Karrass's book as the number one non-academic best seller. I found Karrass's book more helpful, and I enjoyed his course, which I think is still available in DVD form.

Vern

6 hours ago, Vern Edwards said:

Anyone have any ideas about the best way to do that?

Yes, get OFPP to be specific that acquisition personnel get acceptable CLP and even FAC-CO/COR/PM certification credit for taking classes that lend to negotiation of contracts other than FAC, CLC, CON, etc. classes.  By experience it if one tried to push up through agency channels the approval to take and received allowable credits for certification a course such as Dr. Karrass's in this day and age it would be near to impossible.   At least on the civilian side the discretion allowed by OFPP in the FAC-CO policy and exercised by many civilian agencies has allowed them to massage requirements that boarder on the ridiculous.