Multiple Award Task Order Contract (MATOC)

Sue1234

Can you issue an RFP without the MATOC number? I am being told by the Project Manager that we are going to do the RFP without the MATOC and put a statement on the RFP that it is a District MATOC. Can we do that or do we need to have the contract number? This is all new to me. I have never worked with MATOCs before.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you issue an RFP without the MATOC number? I am being told by the Project Manager that we are going to do the RFP without the MATOC and put a statement on the RFP that it is a District MATOC. Can we do that or do we need to have the contract number? This is all new to me. I have never worked with MATOCs before.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue, are you actually identifying which MATOC this is to the contract holders in your RFP, which I assume is a letter? At any rate, I was taught to always identify the contract number in any correspondence to the applicable contractor(s). Inasmuch as there is no implied authority in government contracting, if an unauthorized person requests a proposal without the knowledge or constructive knowledge of the authorized KO, a firm expends funds in preparing and responding with a proposal, the firm would have no recourse if the action was improper or somehow canceled.

At the very least, one would think that the government should be competent enough to know the contract number of the contract they are taking an official action under.

Tell the PM to 1) provide you the contract name and number, 2) provide the name of the KO or ACO and 3) read the contract before requesting a proposal for a task or delivery order!

joel,

You meant there is no apparent authority in government contracting, right?

Yep, thanks for the correction, Don. Sorry for not looking up the term...

• 1 year later...
Yep, thanks for the correction, Don. Sorry for not looking up the term...

Isn't it impossible to identify the contract number of a multiple award task order contract when you are about to release an RFP to the multiple awardees? You have no idea who is going to win the impending action. Likewise, there are multiple contract award numbers under the MATOC. What we have done is give the RFP a solicitation number and describe in detail in the narrative what the RFP is for - "this is a request for proposals under solicitation number XXXX for the YYYY Program." This RFP would be sent out to each of the multiple awardees.

I assume we have been doing things correct here?

Isn't it impossible to identify the contract number of a multiple award task order contract when you are about to release an RFP to the multiple awardees? You have no idea who is going to win the impending action. Likewise, there are multiple contract award numbers under the MATOC. What we have done is give the RFP a solicitation number and describe in detail in the narrative what the RFP is for - "this is a request for proposals under solicitation number XXXX for the YYYY Program." This RFP would be sent out to each of the multiple awardees.

I assume we have been doing things correct here?

Want to learn, if you are referring to the opening post of this thread, I was under the assumption that it referred to requests for task order proposals to existing Multiple Award Task Order Contract pool members. Each pool member has their own contract number under a MATOC, am I correct? Do you send task order RFP's out by letter?

I didn't find any prescribed method or format for MATOC task order proposal requests in FAR Subparts 16.5 or 4.16 ? Unique Procurement Instrument Identifiers or the corresponding DoD and Army Supplements, including the PGI. However, each Agency's Electronic contracting program may have detailed instructions and formats. There are instructions for the actual order issued to the winning contractor in the FAR and supplements.

Want to learn, if you are referring to the opening post of this thread, I was under the assumption that it referred to requests for task order proposals to existing Multiple Award Task Order Contract pool members. Each pool member has their own contract number under a MATOC, am I correct? Do you send task order RFP's out by letter?

I didn't find any prescribed method or format for MATOC task order proposal requests in FAR Subparts 16.5 or 4.16 ? Unique Procurement Instrument Identifiers or the corresponding DoD and Army Supplements, including the PGI. However, each Agency's Electronic contracting program may have detailed instructions and formats. There are instructions for the actual order issued to the winning contractor in the FAR and supplements.

We do send out a letter requesting the multiple MATOC awardees bid on the specific task. Therefore, since multiple contract awardees can bid on the request for task order proposals, a contract number can't be referenced.

We do send out a letter requesting the multiple MATOC awardees bid on the specific task. Therefore, since multiple contract awardees can bid on the request for task order proposals, a contract number can't be referenced.

??? A letter (or email) sent to each separate pool contractor should contain that contractor's contract number, including the contract specific serial letter numbering. The body of the letter or email is the same but the name, address, contract number and serial letter number are contract specific. With today's word processors and email, I don't understand the problem but I may be missing something.

Guest Vern Edwards

I do not understand any of that. Are you talking about an RFP for an order under an existing contract? If so, why are you asking about "contract number"? Shouldn't you be asking about order number? And what does this mean:

this is a request for proposals under solicitation number XXXX

An RFP "under" a solicitation? An RFP is a solicitation. I don't get it.

I do not understand any of that. Are you talking about an RFP for an order under an existing contract? If so, why are you asking about "contract number"? Shouldn't you be asking about order number? And what does this mean:

An RFP "under" a solicitation? An RFP is a solicitation. I don't get it.

Yes I am talking about an RFP for an order under an existing multiple award contract. I was not the person who asked about referencing a contract number - I was simply asking a question about whether stating a contract number was even possible in the RFP since there are multiple contract numbers under the MATOC, and it has been pointed out to me that it is possible - our agency just sends out one blanket request to the multiple potential bidders instead of tailoring each RFP to each potential bidder as Joel stated above. Right, wrong or indifferent, does that clear it up?

Why doesn't your letter just say " issued to all prime vendors under the XXXXXXXXX multiple award contract." Surely the MATOC has a commonly referred to name to go with the number - just like ITES-2S, Alliant, GSA SChedule 70, etc

Yes I am talking about an RFP for an order under an existing multiple award contract. I was not the person who asked about referencing a contract number - I was simply asking a question about whether stating a contract number was even possible in the RFP since there are multiple contract numbers under the MATOC, and it has been pointed out to me that it is possible - our agency just sends out one blanket request to the multiple potential bidders instead of tailoring each RFP to each potential bidder as Joel stated above. Right, wrong or indifferent, does that clear it up?

"Learn", its not that your method is right or wrong. I was just taught contract administration a certain way, which included having clear contract files and organized correspondence. Our office's procedures included use of serialized letters for correspondence that also identify the Contractor or Offeror, the contract, change order request or solicitation number and a clear subject for filing purposes. To me, its merely a matter of clean contract administration. I've seen sloppy contract files and I've seen very organized files. Believe me, when one is trying to use the official files to reconstruct the entire acquisition history for a protest or the entire contract history for a massive claim, the difference between organized, clean contract files and crappy filing systems and crappy contract administration procedures is immense in the number of hours needed to organize and review what occurred. It also helps the lawyers better understand the whole story in context and in chronological order of every event.

I suppose that sending separate emails or letters involves additional effort and filing space or computer memory, which may be at a premium...