What is price evaluation?

Guest Vern Edwards

Vern - Poor editing in the first place, should have been written by me as .....I would add that "to me"  is thrown out for us all when it comes to the doing a Federal acquisition, it is instead is "to the FAR it means". 

It was in reference to your response to my post where you stated "To me".  I was attempting to relate that it does not matter what you, me or others might believe evaluation means to each of us, it what the FAR says is evaluation is for a Federal acquisition.

PS - My Chevrolet 1Ton dually, 4 door, 4X4 is of great value to me as the trailer and the livestock it hauls cost more than the truck!

Guest Vern Edwards

Carl:

We can't look to FAR for everything. It is not a textbook or monograph. Legal definitions are of limited value. In any case, FAR provides no definition or explanation of evaluation. All it says is that evaluation is an "assessment." That just replaces one vague word with another, and resort to a dictionary is of very little help. If you look up assess you're likely to see it defined as evaluate. We've got to think about what we mean when we use the word.

I respect the FAR for what it is: a set of rules and other statements, but that's all it is. it is not a treatise. That's it. The people who wrote FAR 15.305 probably could not give you a coherent explanation of evaluation. If all we're going to do is look at FAR, then we're not doing much.

Thanks for your interest and responses.

Vern