Reviews, Clearance Approval Authorities, & Legal Counsel

FAR 1.602 outlines that contracting officers are responsible for ensuring that all requirements of law, executive orders, regulations, and all other applicable procedures have been met, including that sufficient funds are available to cover obligations.

What are the responsibilities, purposes, and outputs of reviewers, clearance approval authorities (CAA), and legal counsel? It seems as though the contracting process has a lot of redundancy and wasted effort, particularly in reviews. In my experience, all reviewers (peer, CAA, legal, etc.) perform the same duties, albeit, in a non-standard application of "professional judgement", that results in differing opinions and findings. This causes a lot of rework and disjointed contract actions and files.

Are business judgement and administrative process reviews handled by reviewers and clearance authorities, while legal validity is handled exclusively by attorneys?

Who are the fiscal, technical, FAR, government contract law, policy, and business experts? What do they review and how?

As opposed to answering each question, I want to start a discussion on the process and value of reviews.

Have you participated in a contract review process that you feel was value added? If yes, what was the added value? If no, why?

Not today, perhaps later. Recovery from surgery and "other duties as  assigned" prevent me from spending any more time to respond to posts for now. Sorry that you don't have an awareness of the value of  reviews. 

Just now, Vern Edwards said:

Reviews are a fact of life. 

Vern:

This is understood, but if you were king for a day, what would your contracting office's review process aim to accomplish and look like?

Not considering any review processes outside of the contracting office.

8 minutes ago, Jamaal Valentine said:

Not considering any review processes outside of the contracting office.

Clarify what you mean, please. Are you referring only to reviews within Contracting office?  Or are you asking the value added by reviews outside the contracting office?

if you think that the contracting office is self sufficient for those actions that require review, I disagree. 

Basic fact of life: the author(s) think they know what they are trying to say but they don't necessarily know what the receptor thinks it says. 

Guest Vern Edwards
26 minutes ago, Jamaal Valentine said:

f you were king for a day, what would your contracting office's review process aim to accomplish and look like?

Objective: Quality control and training.

Focus:

1. Compliance with statute, regulation, and policy.

2. File completeness.

3. Clarity and adequacy of explanations.

4. Clarity, validity, and soundness of arguments in support of judgements.

5. Reasonableness of judgements.

6. General editorial quality: spelling, grammar, syntax, etc.

7. General appearance of the file and documents contained therein. (Very important. A messy appearance may be indicative of content quality.)

If you're curious about the purpose or objective of a process that is likely required or codified in a regulation I'd start there.  For the DoD (which I believe you're a part of if I remember correctly from another post of yours) DFARS PGI 201.170-1 states the objectives of peer reviews as follows:

The objectives of peer reviews are to-

(a) Ensure that DoD contracting officers are implementing policy and regulations in a consistent and appropriate manner;

(b) Continue to improve the quality of contracting processes throughout the DoD; and

( c ) Facilitate cross-sharing of best practices and lessons learned throughout the DoD.

Are you curious as to whether or not those objectives (or the objectives of other review processes) are accomplished through reviews? Or are you questioning the necessity/value of reviews because you feel they usurp the responsibilities of contracting officers outlined by 1.602?

Matthew:

Thanks. I am familiar with the DoD and AFFARS objectives. I am mainly curious as to the process. Let's say you have a peer, Team Lead, Flight Chief, compliance/committee reviewer, legal counsel review, Chief of Contracting Office, and Senior Contracting Official w/ their review delegation reviewing a contract action (assume one of theses individuals is the contracting officer). Now, take the AFFARS below:

AFFARS 5301.9001 Policy, Thresholds, and Approvals

(a) The objectives of the business and contract clearance process are to ensure that:

(1) Contract actions effectively implement approved acquisition strategies;

(2) Negotiations and contract actions result in fair and reasonable business arrangements;

(3) Negotiations and contract actions are consistent with laws, regulations, and policies; and

(4) An independent review and assessment (e.g., by the clearance authority) for the proposed contract action is accomplished.

Who is responsible for reviewing and commenting on what (e.g. compliance with rules, legal validity/sufficiency, business judgments, editorial quality)? Or, do all of these reviewers look at the same thing? Do they all have the same authority to direct changes? Do any reviewers have greater powers than anothers or is it simply the last reviewer has final say? Does each review add value? If yes, in what way? How can you be sure? Do they have a structured repeatable process? A checklist?

Guest Vern Edwards
12 hours ago, Jamaal Valentine said:

Who is responsible for reviewing and commenting on what (e.g. compliance with rules, legal validity/sufficiency, business judgments, editorial quality)?

Usually, in the USAF, the contract review committee and the staff judge advocate. The committee usually works for the chief of the contracting office or the HCA. Those reviewers look at the same stuff, but for different purposes, although there is often some overlap. The reviews add value to the overall contracting process by assuring compliance. Depending on the reviewers they may contribute to general work quality. Whether they add value to a particular acquisition depends on the CO who is conducting the acquisition and the results of the reviews.

Edited by Vern Edwards
Add comments.

All,

Thanks for the input ... This wasn't a witch hunt, or because I don't appreciate aspects of the review process. I'm taking a new position leading a plans and programs shop, which includes the contract review committee. I wanted to get some general feedback on perceptions of the review process.

Maybe there is an organization out there with an ideal or noteworthy process. 

Congrats on the new position.  In leading your shop maybe you'll be interested in the following TED Talk and Simon Sinek's book "Start With Why."  The 20 minute video summarizes the book quite well and if you like what you hear I'd encourage you to pick up a copy, I've personally found it quite insightful and helpful.  He breaks down organizations into three components: what they do, how they do it, and why they do it.  It seems you're focused on the process (how) at the moment, but I'd encourage you to take some time to think about the why as you make improvements and lead your organization.  Best of luck Jamaal!

Matthew:

Thanks, great post. I actually got to see Simon live ... My old job hosted a event where a grabbed a signed copy of his book. I like the concepts and use a lot of his ideas.