Best Value when competiting task orders

airborne94

Can you use Best Value Trade-off evaluation procedures when competing IDIQ task orders? The reason I ask is that FAR 16 tells us that the policies in Subpart 15.3 do not apply to the ordering process. I am working in a new office and it seems that FAR Part 15 procedures are being used in full force rather than reaping the benefits FAR Part 16 allows.

Can you use Best Value Trade-off evaluation procedures when competing IDIQ task orders? The reason I ask is that FAR 16 tells us that the policies in Subpart 15.3 do not apply to the ordering process. I am working in a new office and it seems that FAR Part 15 procedures are being used in full force rather than reaping the benefits FAR Part 16 allows.

Can you use Best Value Trade-off when competing IDIQ task orders? Yes you can if you so choose. FAR 16.505 gives you the leeway to do a number of trade-off procedures as long as you document it in the solicitation and use cost/price as a factor. Do you have to do IAW with FAR 15? Nope not at all.

(B ) Orders under multiple award contracts?

(1) Fair opportunity.

(i) The contracting officer must provide each awardee a fair opportunity to be considered for each order exceeding $3,000 issued under multiple delivery-order contracts or multiple task-order contracts, except as provided for in paragraph (B )(2) of this section.

(ii) The contracting officer may exercise broad discretion in developing appropriate order placement procedures. The contracting officer should keep submission requirements to a minimum. Contracting officers may use streamlined procedures, including oral presentations. In addition, the contracting officer need not contact each of the multiple awardees under the contract before selecting an order awardee if the contracting officer has information available to ensure that each awardee is provided a fair opportunity to be considered for each order and the order does not exceed $5 million. The competition requirements in Part 6 and the policies in Subpart 15.3 do not apply to the ordering process. However, the contracting officer must?

(A) Develop placement procedures that will provide each awardee a fair opportunity to be considered for each order and that reflect the requirement and other aspects of the contracting environment;

(B ) Not use any method (such as allocation or designation of any preferred awardee) that would not result in fair consideration being given to all awardees prior to placing each order;

? Tailor the procedures to each acquisition;

(D) Include the procedures in the solicitation and the contract; and

(E) Consider price or cost under each order as one of the factors in the selection decision.

Had to edit, all the B's were showing as smiley faces....

airborne94,

Your instincts are good. Pass this article around your new office and see if anybody sees the light:

http://www.wifcon.com/anal/analcomproc.htm

Don,

When I try discussing the more strealined approach I just get shot down. It is nice to know that I am not really looking into a black hole... that this really can be much more of a simpler process. Thanks for sharing your comment.

Don't get discouraged. Remember the Code of Ethics for Government Employees:

CODE OF ETHICS FOR GOVERNMENT SERVICE

Any person in Government service should:

4. Seek to find and employ more efficient and economical ways of getting tasks accomplished.