Direct Hiring Authority

duke38

Does anyone out there have experience with Direct hiring authority for 1102s? My agency wants to use this to some higly qualified candidates but my HR is pushing back stating do we meet the need as outlined by OPM. I sent them the GW004 which states 1102s qualify as a shortage but they never done this before and cannot wrap their head around allowing us to use this authority. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how i can move this forward? I really want to move forward before we loose these potential employees.

From OPM:  https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-authorities/direct-hire-authority/#url=Governmentwide-Authority

GW-004, Effective September 30, 2012 is extended by Sec. 1103 of P.L. 112-239, National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) FY 2013, for Federal Acquisition positions covered under title 41, United States Code 433(g)(1)(A). This authority is based on a severe-shortage of candidates. Prior to using this authority, the department and agency heads (other than the Secretary of Defense) must determine whether a shortage of highly qualified individuals exists. When determining the existence of a shortage of highly qualified individuals, agencies are required to use the supporting evidence prescribed in 5 CFR 337.204(b). The supporting evidence must be kept in a file for documentation and reporting purposes. In accordance with 5 CFR 337.206(c), OPM may request information from agencies on their use and implementation of this direct-hire authority. This authority expires on September 30, 2017. Agencies may not appoint any individual to a position of employment using this authority after September 30, 2017. The legal authority code for SF-50 item 5-E is “BAE.”