Delivery Orders/Task Orders Against GWACs, GSA contracts, other IDIQ contracts

Prezmil2020

Good Afternoon,

What format do you use when posting a delivery or task order against a contract for commercial items? Do you still use the Uniform Contract Format (UCF) or the Commercial Item Format? I noticed that some Contracting Officers will always employ the UCF even if it is for a commercial item. What are your thoughts?

Prezmil2020

I believe the FAR is flexible enough to allow you to either use the UCF or not.

The UCF is in Part 15.204-1 of the FAR, so if you are doing a Part 12/15 acquisition I would think that you "could" certainly use the UCF.

However, if you don't want to use the UCF, you can look at 12.204 which does not require anything other than the SF1449 (and for purchases not exceeding the SAT, that isn't even mandatory).

I know that the DoD's "wonder" SPS program does not use the UCF on commercial purchases, and neither does the VA's eCMS program. Now, as it has been pointed out several times on various discussion boards, we should not let the tool dictate the process but since the developers of both programs did not included this in their respective systems, it also leads me to believe that it is not required to use the UCF. SPS just throws everything after the SF1449 and eCMS created their own "Sections" to put things into. Seems like there is no specific structure required.

:D

JLJordan,

It has been a couple of years since I worked with SPS... thanks for the update!

I note that you say that you "can now choose", so does that mean it is still non-mandatory and the KO can elect whether or not to use the UCF for commerical purchases?

:D