Full and Open Competition Timeline

Prezmil2020

Good Afternoon,

I am conducting a study to see how long it takes on average to perform a full and open competition. While every contract is unique I am trying to get a feel for what the average times are for commercial item procurements. If possible, please breakdown the procurement process as much as possible and describe how long it takes for each task (Acquisition Planning, Market Research, COCs, RFQ/RFP, negotiations, etc.). Again, I am looking for a complete cradle to grave average. One book I read stated that it takes on average about 268 days but doesn't break it down into each phase. That's where you guys come in!

Thanks,

Prezmil2020

I think we will need more details before we can properly respond... There are many variables that affect the timeline.

Commercial / Non-commerical

Internal Review Requirements

Dollar thresholds

Etc...

Not a problem. All of the procurements we work on are for commercial items (excluding A&E and Construction). Internal review requirements are as per the individual agency. I know that DoD usually has a few more individuals review the procurement. Regarding dollar threshold, let's say the following:

1. <Micropurchase Threshold

2. Micropurchase Threshold to SAT

3. SAT to $5,000,000.00

4. $5,000,000.00 to $25,000,000.00

5.>$25,000,000.00

1. Per 13.202(a)(2), the timeline is simply as long as it takes to make the purchase as long as the contracting officer or individual appointed considers the price to be reasonable.

2-5. The timeline for acquisition planning, market research, etc... will depend on the complexity of the purchase. It can be a few days or several months. It is often the requirement, not the threshold, that will determine the length of time for these tasks.

In the Commercial realm, the FAR gives us maximum flexibility in some areas of timeline. For example, 5.203 allows the KO to "Establish a shorter period for issuance of the solicitation". There are some KOs that use this flexibility to synopsize the requirement in the morning, and release the solicitation in the afternoon. 12.205 states that "... the contracting officer may allow fewer than 30 days response time for receipt of offers for commerical items, unless the acquisition is covered by the World Trade Organization Government Procurement Agreement or a Free Trade Agreement..." I have seen this (especially at year-end) be used as the justification to release a solicitation on September 27th with a due date of September 29th for a simple purchase of supplies.

Once the bids/offers are in, the evaluation time has mitigating factors as well. Was this lowest price? LPTA? SSEB? Each of these have different time requirements. Simple low price will take as long as it takes to look at the numbers and do the responsibility checks. The SSEB process can take months.

And then there are the pre-award reviews, which depending on the agency can take a few days to several weeks.

I'm not trying to duck your question, but there really are several factors that play a part on the timeline. I have worked on simple commercial purchases that the entire process has taken less than a week, but I have worked on other more complex purchases that have taken over a year.

Sorry I can't provide more of a definitive answer for you.

:D

Adding to Despardo's comments, another factor is how much the agency has prepared and planned for the acquisition and how much getting to contract aware is a priority. It's a people driven process and the timeliness and quality is dependent on the availability, experience, training, and qualifications of the people involved.

Often agencies use an IPT to conduct the acquisition. If the IPT is composed of good people that are well trained, experienced, and have most, if not all the resources within the team to carry the process through to completion, that makes a big difference. Sometimes 4-6 months is a realistic timeframe from beginning to end for some rather significant acquisitions.

On the other hand, agencies spend literally months putting together a sloppy solicitation. It gets issued and they end up issuing amendment after amendment correcting this and continuosly extending the due date. Once proposals are received, they don't have the evaluators lined up. Often the evaluation is done poorly and lawyers or contract review board find problems and the evaluators have to almost start again from scratch. A simple contract action can take a year.

There's no straight forward answer to your question. But if you want some more information, do a serach on PALT. Many agencies use PALT (procurement administrative lead time) as gauges of how long acquisitions should take. It's usually broken down by dollar value, supply or service, and degree of complexity. A twist to PALT is many agencies don't start counting until a complete requisition is received in the contracts office. A few start PALT counting when a program office defines a need.

Not a problem. All of the procurements we work on are for commercial items (excluding A&E and Construction). Internal review requirements are as per the individual agency. I know that DoD usually has a few more individuals review the procurement. Regarding dollar threshold, let's say the following:

1. <Micropurchase Threshold

2. Micropurchase Threshold to SAT

3. SAT to $5,000,000.00

4. $5,000,000.00 to $25,000,000.00

5.>$25,000,000.00

Prezmil2020,

Remember that "Full and Open Competition" is not required for:

1. Any acquisition performed using simplified acquisition procedures (FAR 13)

2. Any acquisition performed using the Test Procedures for commercial items up to $5.5M (FAR 13.5)

3. Any acquisition performed using Federal Supply Schedule procedures (FAR 8.4)

4. Any acquisition performed using the procedures of an Agency indefinite delivery contract or GWAC (FAR 16.5 w/ contract T&C's)

All of these procedures allow for a much more streamlined acquisition of commercial items than a full and open competition under FAR Part 15 procedures.