Competitive FFP Task Order Solicitations requires use of other MA IDIQ for Materials

Good afternoon everyone -- longtime reader, first time poster.

At the risk of a good smack by Vern, I need a gut check from the group on the topic that follows.

My company holds a prime seat on a multiple award IDIQ under which FFP task orders for IT and infrastructure solutions (commercial items) are competed among the 25 primes. In all cases, however, the Government is mandating the use of a separate MA IDIQ program for all subordinate purchases of materials thereunder, regardless of whether or not we can show an ability to procure that same product at a lower price via our typical commercial channels. The mandated use immediately disadvantages the Government, and in my view, circumvents authentic competition.

I've written a white paper attempting to dissuade the Government from this mandate, and can elaborate as needed, however, thought I would begin a topic here to get initial feedback.

Many thanks in advance!

"Follow the yellow brick road!
Follow the yellow brick road!
Follow, follow, follow, follow
Follow the yellow brick road... "

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

But, more seriously, does the contract include a value engineering incentive clause for after award suggestions to save the taxpayers money? If you win, you can always offer the White Paper anyways afterwards.

EDIT: OOPS! You already have a contract, so why NOT discuss your ideas with the Contracting Officer?

Guest Vern Edwards

Feedback about what?

There is nothing wrong with trying to persuade the government to drop a policy that does not serve its best interests. Whether you have a persuasive case depends on your data and how you present it. You need enough good data to overcome bureaucratic inertia. Do you have it?

I would remind you that price is not always the most important factor. Requiring the use of another MA IDIQ can lower the risk to the government by ensuring supply chain, quality, etc. Not to mention if that MA IDIQ is run out of the same office, the government gets an extra layer of visibility and control.