CORs in Construction

I am at a base level operational contracting office. A new DoDi came out 26 Mar 15 - number 500.72 - titled DoD Standard for Contracting Officer's Representative Certification. Apparently this new instruction mandates COR's for construction contracts and the inclusion of these COR's in the CORT tool. Am I missing something, but haven't COR's always been required for construction contracts? The reason I am curious is anyone else trying to come up with a plan to comply with this requirement? Does anyone else within DoD use CORT tool for their construction CORs ?

This office has had 'inspectors' but never full fledged CORs.....just posting for a little discussion.

Guest Vern Edwards

Traditionally, in my experience, CORs for construction were called "inspectors." They were CORs, but we didn't call them that.

I don't know anything about the CORT "tool."

Yes we have traditionally called them inspectors, as well. The CORT tool is a system that tracks all COR related data, paperwork, etc. CORs have to upload their training certificates and surveillance documents in the system for approval by the CO. Apparently, the 'inspectors' will now have to become full fledged CORs - which requires additional training, financial disclosure and the minimum requirement of being a government employee. Some inspectors are actually Title II and not employees of DoD.

Sandi78,

I do not know which agency you work for in DoD. I worked with the ACOE and we had CORs that used CORT (when it was implemented) on our construction contracts. Maybe DoD is just solidifying this requirement?