Performance metrics for Contract Manager position

jeff4757

Folks-

I have been tasked in developing performance metrix to evaluate the performance of a Contracts Manager administering CPFF and FFP NAVY Prime contracts.

Can anyone provide bullet points on areas that should be considered under an evaluation?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!

The CM is not a government employee, right? The CM is a (prime) contractor employee?

If so ...

-- Accuracy and completeness of contract brief. Are all important clauses included in the brief. Is it updated timely -- what is the lag between execution of a mod and update of the brief?

-- Compliance with LoC/LoF requirements

-- Compliance with EVM requirements.

-- CDRL schedule accuracy.

-- Funds management.

Hope this helps

Vern,

How could leaders "lead" before the invention of Executive Dashboards?

How could briefings take place before the invention of MS PowerPoint?

How could research be performed before the creation of Wikipedia?

H2H

Guest Vern Edwards

Help:

I'm not sure of your thrust. Be patient with an old guy, 'cause it seems that your comment could be interpreted in two ways. Are you saying that executive dashboards, for example, actually help leaders do a better job of leading? Or are you agreeing with the thrust of my comment?

(Sorry for being thick about this.)

Vern

Vern,

Sorry, my sarcasm didn't translate ... yes, I agree with you.

The original poster didn't ask my opinion on the usefulness of performance metrics WRT acquisition. Had I been asked I would have said they are too often meaningless and might actually be counterproductive in many circumstances.

This one place I visited (Top 10 DoD manufacturer) had a performance metric of "time between receipt of Purchase Requisition and issuance of Purchase Order". In addition, all POs had to be FFP. Period. So these poor buyers were pushed and pushed to get their POs issued because that's how their performance was being measured.

My team came to visit and we suggested that maybe, just maybe, placing FFP POs with vendors before the design had been completed was not really the way to go. This one IPT support team was so proud they had placed a major award even though the subsystem was definitely going to be redesigned. We suggested they were setting themselves up for an extensive amount of change order activity downstream, which was going to lead to cost and schedule impacts.

Funny thing is that their leadership didn't want to hear it. So long as the duration between PR and PO was within their (arbitrary) limits, all was fine.

But the original poster didn't ask my opinion about how/when to use performance metrics and so I suggested a couple that might actually be worth tracking, if only to catch exceptions. As for me, I never use 'em and resist their use wherever possible.

H2H