Question on Part-Time EE Timekeeping

We are anticipating our first DCAA floor check in the next 6 months. I wonder if anyone here can answer a question we have regarding Part-Time employee Timesheets.

We understand that Timesheets must be completed daily. We use electronic Timesheets. If we have a DCAA floor check and the auditor selects one of our Part-Timers to interview, and this employee has not worked any days so far that week, would it be considered a deficiency if their Timesheet is blank? Or should they be entering "zeros" on each day they do not work to be considered compliant?

For example, say we have an employee who only works one day per week, 8 hrs on a Thursday. If a DCAA auditor arrives on a Wednesday to do the floor check, should that employee's Timesheet show:

M T W T F S S

0 0

Or would we be okay if this employee's Timesheet is still completely blank?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Or would we be okay if this employee's Timesheet is still completely blank?

Who would enter the "zeroes"? My experience in relation to timekeeping and DCAA leads me to the conclusion that more important than having time filled out every day is that the employee certifies that time. I have known DCAA auditors to be understanding of off-site employees having their time-sheet filled out by an admin as long as it is approved after the fact by the employee. Your explanation that these are part-time employees who have not started work that week should be sufficient.

SLK,

I recommend you establish your position regarding part-time employee timekeeping requirements and memorialize it in a policy/procedure. That way, so long as the employee is complying with the written expectations, the auditor should be okay with it. (Assuming the expectations are reasonable.)

Hope this helps.