DOD Full Funding Policy

Jakemx56

Good afternoon,

The program I am working currently has FY13 & FY14 3010 Procurement dollars from the Omnibus that we are trying to use to upgrade aircraft. Mixing of both years of funding is needed as a single year of funding is not enough to fully fund a useable end item.

My current legal advisor is under the impression that you can only fund an end item with a single year of funding (Funding is 3010 Proc money).

I have reviewed the DOD Directive 7000.14 as well as many GAO cases and senate hearings on full funding but I have not been able to find anything that states this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

V/r

Jake

I don't recall the full funding principle applying to the appropriation year, only the appropriation amount. Having said that I would suggest that you write a memorandum to both your activity General Counsel/JAG and Comptroller and request a formal written opinion. Also, I seem to recall a number of years ago DOD General Counsel directed DOD Contracting Officers to request answers to fiscal questions to their office vice going to GAO. At one time a CO could go to GAO and request an opinion but DOD General Counsel put a stop to that.

Good question. I agree that you should be checking with your F&A folks. I do remember funding our on-going Chemical Weapons Demilitarization Program with multtiple year Proc funds. Proc paid for the installed process equipment and related systems.

Do you have a Program Manager/team? Someone has to be managing the process for such a program, I'd think.