The inclusion of task orders in the evaluation criteria

I’m writing an R&D solicitation for an indefinite delivery/requirements type contract. Award would be made to a single offeror and the “umbrella” contract would be a competitive follow-on to an existing award. The current contract includes 10 task orders that we would want to transition seamlessly into the new award. My question is (1) should the solicitation’s evaluation criteria include a rating strategy for these ongoing 10 task orders or (2) would it be better to include 1 or 2 sample task orders instead?

Some in our organization feel the ongoing 10 task orders must be included in the evaluation criteria because there is a bona fide need to award them at the same time the new contract is awarded. Simply put, if we know we need them we must evaluate them.

On the other hand, some feel that sample task orders provide a more level playing field for offerors by limiting the competitive advantage the incumbent would gain by already having performed the 10 task orders; the expectation is that the ongoing task orders would be negotiated with the sole successful offeror after a source selection decision is made but still prior to contract award thus assuring the seamless transition.

Any comments are appreciated.

124 views and no replies?

This is SO not my area of expertise. That said, if I were an offeror I would want to be evaluated on a basis other than a sample task order, regardless of whether it was a single TO or 10 of them. What are you intending to evaluate? The management approach? The technical approach? The estimated cost?

From my (layperson's) POV, you are seeking a contractor to perform R&D efforts. You have 10 tasks, eash of which I suspect would include a technical objective that the contractor is to work towards, with no guarantee of completion (because R&D). What distinguishes one offeror from another? I'm thinking (or guessing, if you prefer) past performance in similar efforts and the capabilities of key personnel. Maybe the ability to report on progress as required. What else do you need? What else are you looking for?

Also, seems like a lot of admin work here. A single-award ID/IQ with 10 Task Orders? And you "know we need them" all to be performed? Seems unnecessarily coy. Why not just award a single contract, with 10 CLINs?

To be clear, I'm only posting this because it's been almost a week and no other "expert" has offered anything. Feel free to ignore.

Hope this helps.

How about a two phased approach with phase one non- priced and phase 2 would include pricing for the 10 CLINS and perhaps more specific technical info concerning their approach and/or personnel for the ten "activities". Phase two could be limited to a smaller number of competitors ( perhaps three).

Im not much of a fan of "sample tasks". Why can't you use a real task that is binding since you actually have ten to choose from? Could you at least compete one or two of the tasks in lieu of a sample? Are the actual tasks that difficult for industry to scope and price without one on one negotiations?

I offer the suggestion of a two phased approach to reduce the burden on industry to compete and time/cost for the government concerning pricing ten separate projects. Of course, there may only be a small number of firms that would respond to this R&D type solicitation. If so, no need for two phase.

Guest Vern Edwards

The O.P. works for one of those "technical approach" source selectors. What he wants to know is whether to ask for proposed approaches to picking up and continuing the "ongoing tasks" or approaches to performing sample tasks. Either way will get you to a source selection if you know what you're doing.

If you like the incumbent and would like to keep them on the job, ask for approaches to continuing the ongoing tasks and warn them to write a good proposal and not to take victory for granted. If you go with that you'll be inundated with questions about the ongoing tasks. Is is not true that if you know you're going to need the ongoing tasks you must evaluate approaches to the ongoing tasks. You may want to, but the law does not require that you do so.

If you don't like the incumbent, then go with sample tasks, in which cases others have a better chance of winning.

This time of year I'm surprised that anyone is looking at Wifcon.