Economy Act, FAR 17.5, and GSA

Maureen

The Economy Act and FAR 17.5 is the bane of my 1102 existence. I am the only one in the office who knows basically what FAR 17.5 and 17.7 covers and thus have become the go-to person. I am trying to advise my customers on documentation requirements, and would be grateful for some help confirming what I think is the right way to go for this specific action.

Intent is to offload a requirement under $500K to a GSA FSS. Per FAR 17.500(c )(2), FAR Part 17.5 does not apply to orders of $500,000 or less issued against Federal Supply Schedules. Am I correct in interpreting this to mean that the Economy Act Determination and Findings required in FAR 17.502-2 is also not required under these circumstances?

Thanks.

Don, Martin - thank you very much. It helps to have folks to "discuss" policy issues with. I know I could ask my counterparts higher up, but this was quick and easy, and confirmed what I thought (although I missed FAR 17.502-2 (B ), shame on me - thank you Martin). I think I would have gotten there if I wasn't so overwhelmed (training five interns at the same time :wacko: ).

Thanks again, much appreicated.

• 1 month later...

You may also wish to view the memo from the Under Secretary of Defense dated Oct 31, 2008, with subject of "Meeting Department of Defense Requirements through Interagency Agreements."

End of 1st page and beginning of 2nd page states "...General Services Administration Federal Supply Services contract...n as much as use of the OFPP guidance within DoD is mandated only for requirements valued over $500K, activities also do not have to comply with requirements applicable below that threshold." [emphasis added]

Memo can be found at www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/policy/policyvault/USA000871-08-dpap.pdf