I'm wondering how other contracting offices are looking at the matter of conference travel. Many agencies have restrictions on and high approval levels for "conference" travel.

What is your office's position? Is a pre-bid conference (FAR 14.207), pre-solicitation or pre-proposal conference (FAR 15.201( c )( 8 )), or industry or small business conference (FAR 15.201( c )( 1 )) a conference under your agency's restrictions on "conference" travel? Or do you see these as mission travel?

I am aware of the FTR definition of conference, but that would make essentially EVERY trip a conference.

You need to review your department/agency guidance. I have seen guidance where if there is a question whether or not a trip is a "conference" the guidance designates a POC to assist in making the determination. Additionally, if there is a determination that the trip is a "conference", along with obtaining approvals, there are reporting requirements including posting the information at the department/agency public website. It would be best to refer to your internal guidance. I hope this helps.

I am at Department of State and my conference POC determined that none of your listed meetings were conferences even though the word conference was in thier name. I think it may be up to your agency and the person controlling the conferences.