Who Would You Rather Have As A CO? Vern or Don?

Captain2722

Guest Vern Edwards

Don would be a sensational CO to work for. He knows his stuff, he's very smart, very probing, and very patient, and he explains things well. You would have to stand up to a Socratic style, which forces you to think and drives some people crazy. He would not just tell you what to do. He would force you to think of it. He would sit there, and speaking with that quiet voice would keep saying: What? Why? How? When? But... why that? Why that reason? Why that way? Why then? And just when you think you're going to kill him, it hits you -- Wait a minute, that's a good question. Why that? Why that reason? Why that way?

You couldn't do better than Don.

Neither one.

I note the question was NOT who would I rather work for. That's a vastly different question than who would I want as my CO on a contract awarded to me for performance. I would love to work for either one but I would never, ever, want Don or Vern as my CO.

They are both way too competent and confident. How could I play on their insecurities during negotiations? How could I lead them into regulatory traps that work to my advantage?

Nope. Neither of 'em.

To be clear, I always want a competent CO, one who's engaged and willing to make a decision. One who's looking for a reasonable and relatively equitable outcome, and not looking to "protect the taxpayers' interests" by screwing over the contractor. But that's sufficient, thank you very much.

I always want to know more than my CO, and I want the CO to realize I know more than s/he does. It makes life so much easier....

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post. I apologize if I have.

H2H

I always want to know more than my CO, and I want the CO to realize I know more than s/he does. It makes life so much easier....

It sounds like you are "here to help" the government spend money. There is nothing wrong with that done truthfully in good faith. Help the CO! :)

Don would be a sensational CO to work for. He knows his stuff, he's very smart, very probing, and very patient, and he explains things well. You would have to stand up to a Socratic style, which forces you to think and drives some people crazy. He would not just tell you what to do. He would force you to think of it. He would sit there, and speaking with that quiet voice would keep saying: What? Why? How? When? But... why that? Why that reason? Why that way? Why then? And just when you think you're going to kill him, it hits you -- Wait a minute, that's a good question. Why that? Why that reason? Why that way?

You couldn't do better than Don.

Vern, this sounds like a nightmare for most people!

A few things I have learned to love about CO's that I work with:

1. CO's that give the CS room to work and grow without much supervision. Can't learn anything when the CO is the one always making decisions and just telling you what to do.

2. CO's that are responsive and prompt when reviewing documents. Maybe this is just my selfish attitude, but it's always nice receiving a response the same day you give the CO something for review.

3. CO's that ask the "Why? How come? Show Me."

I've had Don as a CO. I pick Vern. It gets discouraging having your contract files physically thrown down the hallway. On the other hand, it was entertaining to get Don to sign a BCM that included a footnote reading (my original post was edited) something negative about Don.

Hope all is well in your world, Don.

I've had Don as a CO. I pick Vern. It gets discouraging having your contract files physically thrown down the hallway.

This is the greatest thing I've read today!