Price Based on Adequate Competition

Whynot

Guest Vern Edwards
Sure, let me give you an example. Let's say last year I had a competitive procurement for the purchase of 1000 widgets. Three responsible offerors, competing independently, submitted priced offers that satisfied the Government's expressed requirement, award was made to the offeror whose proposal represented the best value, price was a substantial factor in source selection, and there was no finding that the price of the otherwise successful offeror was unreasonable. In other words, I had adequate price competition pursuant to FAR 15.403-1?(1)(i). The contract price was $700,000 ($700/widget).

This year I have the same requirement for 1000 widgets. Instead of having a competition, I'm going to do a HUBZone sole source to Contractor A in order to help meet my agency's small business goals. I receive a price from contractor A and price analysis clearly demonstrates that the proposed price is reasonable in comparison with the contract price for last year's contract, adjusted to reflect changes in market conditions, economic conditions, quantities, and terms and conditions. In other words, I have adequate price competition pursuant to FAR 15.403-1?(1)(iii).

Make sense?

That's a really great answer and example.

Sure, let me give you an example. Let's say last year I had a competitive procurement for the purchase of 1000 widgets. Three responsible offerors, competing independently, submitted priced offers that satisfied the Government?s expressed requirement, award was made to the offeror whose proposal represented the best value, price was a substantial factor in source selection, and there was no finding that the price of the otherwise successful offeror was unreasonable. In other words, I had adequate price competition pursuant to FAR 15.403-1?(1)(i). The contract price was $700,000 ($700/widget).

This year I have the same requirement for 1000 widgets. Instead of having a competition, I'm going to do a HUBZone sole source to Contractor A in order to help meet my agency's small business goals. I receive a price from contractor A and price analysis clearly demonstrates that the proposed price is reasonable in comparison with the contract price for last year's contract, adjusted to reflect changes in market conditions, economic conditions, quantities, and terms and conditions. In other words, I have adequate price competition pursuant to FAR 15.403-1?(1)(iii).

Make sense?

Thanks Don. Yes - that makes perfect sense now that I've reacquainted myself with FAR 15.403-1©(1)(iii). Thanks again!!!