Difference between "Small Business Set-Aside" and "Total Small Business Set-Aside"

FAR subpart 19.5 covers "Small Business Set-Asides." The two types of set-asides discussed in the subpart are "total small business set-asides" and "partial set-asides." The way the information is presented in the FAR, "total small business set-asides" are a subset of "small business set-asides."

Guest Vern Edwards

no difference...

yes, subject to any limitations such as those in para. ( c ) of the contract clause at FAR 52.219-14...

That was a rush answer that wasn't as correct as it should have been and included no reference to FAR 19.5 for additional information about set-asides.

The second part of the answer, "yes, subject to..." might have warned of the "ostensible subcontractor" ("undue reliance") problem discussed in 13 CFR 121.103(h)(4).

A quick and unresearched (yet sincere) question gets a quick and unresearched (yet sincere) answer.

Don's answer provided a helpful insight, one that is important as people progress in knowledge -- but for someone who hasn't progressed so far, and in our common lexicon, it is probably almost always true that a reference to a "small business set-aside" really means a "total 100% small business set-aside." I hope Don's answer was helpful to the original poster.

I don't think the original poster is at a point to care about the intricacies and complexities of the SBA affiliation rules. When my son asked me about my vehicle, I told him we have a Ford -- and he was satisfied with the answer -- I could have gone into more detail, but it didn't seem necessary at the time. When he wants to know more, or when he needs to know more, I'll tell him more or he will learn it from others. The scripture says, "Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety." Between me, Don, and you, I hope the original poster has the answer he or she needs. Somehow, based on Vern's criticism, I felt a need to apologize for my answer's inadequacies -- but on reflection and going through this writing exercise, I changed my mind. Anyway, with that thought in mind, let me continue my thought...

I don't think the original poster is at a point to care about the intricacies and complexities of the SBA affiliation rules -- but if he or she is, thanks to Vern to pointing in the right direction.