CPAF Question

HeyGuy

Vern and the rest of the gang,

This is my first post/question but I do read these boards regularly and they are quite helpful and informative. Thank you.

Here is my question.

I am preparing a solicitation and the majority of this contract (about 95% of it) will be CPAF. This contract is set up with several SLIN's within the overall CPAF CLIN structure (i.e. CLIN 2 is the base period with AA being Task 1/funding source 1, AB being Task 1/funding source 2, AC being Task 2/funding source 1, etc, etc. However, one or two of these are SLIN's (and again, they still fall within the general CLIN structure and only consist of at most 5% of the contract) will not have award fee metrics. Do I have to make these SLIN's cost plus fixed fee (CPFF) lines? What if we were to add a small task directive CLIN? Do I have to make that CPFF?

I don't see anything in the FAR that stops me from keeping the structure CPAF (for the entire contract) and I see nothing that stops me from putting $0 in award fee for the lines that do not have metrics and negotitate a base fee in those areas.

I just don't see the point in calling this a hyrid contract, withholding "fixed fee" on lines, etc, when 95% of the contract has metrics and the other 5% does not. Our group is back and forth on this whole thing. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Guest Vern Edwards

A CLIN should be the sum of its SLINs. Looking at DFARS 204.7104-1( b ), which is about separately identified SLINs, I don't see any regulatory prohibition against differently priced SLINs. So I think that under one CLIN you can have a CPAF SLIN, a T&M SLIN, and a FFP SLIN, etc.

I don't know whether your automated contracting writing system will let you do that, but I don't see any regulatory prohibition.

Such a contract would be a combination of contract types, not a "hybrid."

Guest Vern Edwards

Oops! Thanks, Don. Okay, make them separate line items instead of sublime items.

(Mea culpa, but why on earth didn't they put that down 204.7104-1, in the discussion of establishing sublime items?)