SSEB Team Members must be from the PMO?

elefess

On a FFP type, Far Part 8 Best Value RFQ(in my office we don't designate LPTA or tradeoff when doing FAR Part 8), Source Selection must all the SSEB Members be from the PMO office?

My thoughts: No, the SSEB Members must be personnel with the appropriate KSAs to be able to evaluate the quotes received. Special approval is only required if we want to use contractors to evaluate, which we do not in this situation.

CO thoughts: If the person is no longer part of the PMO(they were employeed there previously and worked on the acquisition package), they should not be on the SSEB.

I informed my PMO and they are asking for written policy or written guidance where this is stated. I work for the VA and our deskbook is silent.

Edited by elefess

I do not know (nor, really, care) what VA policy is or should be. However, note the difference between your question ("do all the SSEB Members need to be from the PMO office," i.e., are they required to be from the PMO office) and the CO thoughts ("they should not be on the SSEB").

I do not know (nor, really, care) what VA policy is or should be. However, note the difference between your question ("do all the SSEB Members need to be from the PMO office," i.e., are they required to be from the PMO office) and the CO thoughts ("they should not be on the SSEB").

I note the difference in the question and clarified "must" instead of "need". I provided the agency information in case anyone does know VA policy and has advice specific to VA, however I'm not requesting responses only from a VA perspective.

Guest Vern Edwards

FAR states no rule about where government employees must work in order to be on an SSEB. Unless there is a rule about it in your agency FAR supplement or in some other agency policy statement, then there is no rule. If the CO is the source selection authority, then he or she can set a rule. See FAR 15.303( b )(1). If the PMO doesn't want to accept the CO's say-so, they can fight it out in higher management's office.

elefess, have you looked at FAR 37.204? To me, that indicates that the FAR contemplates that a preference is to be given to using evaluators from other agencies when the contracting agency does not have personnel to conduct the evaluation. This seems to support your position that members of the SSEB do not have to be from the PMO. If they did, 37.204 would not make sense.

Guest Vern Edwards

Don't do that. Don't "spin it around." Comply with statute and regulation, but work with the PMO to find a mutually acceptable solution. It's their program and their funding. You should try to make them happy if it is legally possible to do so.

Thank you for the input. The FAR reference at 37.204 supports the arguement that the SSEB members should be personnel with the appropriate knowledge regardless of the agency. We were able to come to a solution that kept all parties happy without violating any regulations or laws. Thanks again.