Citing Multiple FAR 6.302 Authorities in a JOFOC

Troy

FAR doesn't expressly prescribe the limitations for citing multiple authorities to justify circumstances for permitting other than full and open competition. At times I have come across J&A's having cited both 6.302-1 "only one source..." and 6.302-2 "unusual and compelling urgency".

Is anyone aware of guidance which suggests that citing multiple FAR 6.302 authorities is allowable or even necessary?

FAR 6.301( b ) says, "Each contract awarded without providing for full and open competition shall contain a reference to the specific authority under which it was so awarded." This seems to ask for only one exception.

As Don points out i his citation, you cannot use the -1 authority with any other authority.

Bob,

I couldn't find a GAO case, but I do remember a recent COFC case, Innovation Development Enterprises of America, Inc. v. The United States, No. 11-217 C (Ct. Cl. Jan. 29, 2013) where the Air Force relied on FAR 6.302-1 and 6.302-2 which was misplaced since FAR 6.302-1( b ) forbids reliance on FAR 6.302-1 when 6.302-2 is applicable.

Judge Lynn Bush noted that

The Court is unaware of any prior attempt to rely on both of these authorities for the same sole source award. If a Contracting Officer is faced with a situation where unusual and compelling circumstances exist, it is impermissible to rely on the only one responsible source provision to justify a sole source award. FAR 6.302-1( b ) "forces the agency to solicit offers from as many sources as is practicable, in situations of unusual and compelling urgency, before resorting to soliciting offers from only a single source, in circumstances which may also present unusual and compelling urgency. The goal is to obtain maximum competition.

The Court held that the Air Force’s actions constituted a significant violation of CICA and that IDEA was prejudiced by the sole-source contract.