52.215-23 Limitations on Pass-Through Charges

Greetings,

First, I'm new to the forum and will start out by saying thank you to all those that contribute. These forums are extremely helpful!

Questions:

1. Assume an existing DoD contract that meets the prescription in FAR 15.408(n) for inclusion of the clause 52.215-23 Limitation on Pass-Through Charges. The clause is not included in the Contract. Would this clause be read into the contract by operation of the Christian Doctrine? 52.215-22 is also not included in the contract, in case you are wondering.
  2. Assume the answer to 1. is "yes", and the prime contractor later intends to award a subcontract that was not included in the contractor's original proposal. The subcontractor's proposal to the prime includes lower-tier subcontractor costs that exceed 70% of the total estimated cost of the subcontract. In this situation, could the indirect costs or fee on work performed by the lower-tier subcontractor be considered excessive pass-through? It is debatable whether the subcontractor adds no or negligible value to the lower-tier subcontract. Would you submit the notification pursuant to 52.215-23© considering your answer to 1. above?

Good Morning,

Experts like Vern, Don, and H2H will be able to answer your question about the Christian Doctrine. I would have a statement ready about the value added by the subcontractor, but I would not submit it to the contracting officer unless requested to do so. Here is a similar topic thread that you may find useful:

http://www.wifcon.com/discussion/index.php?/topic/1433-limitations-on-pass-through-charges/?hl=%2Bpass+%2Bthrough

@InNeedofWisdom. Thanks for your reply.

I suppose another question is: Are there any generally accepted standards to use in determining whether the contractor, or subcontractor in this case, provides "added value"? Everyone thinks that what they do adds value, right?

Of Course! :) I am not sure if there are generally accepted standards besides the definition for "added value" from FAR 52.215-23(a). It looks like the writers of this clause intentionally gave examples that some might otherwise question. If a contractor cannot qualify for at least one of the examples below, it seems like they could have a hard time persuading the contracting officer of "added value."

FAR 52.215-23(a) “Added value” means that the Contractor performs subcontract management functions that the Contracting Officer determines are a benefit to the Government (e.g., processing orders of parts or services, maintaining inventory, reducing delivery lead times, managing multiple sources for contract requirements, coordinating deliveries, performing quality assurance functions).

Yes, the examples are listed there. I was thinking that almost any prime contractor, service contractor in particular, that has two or more subs could assert that they do all of those things. I was wondering if there were any general standards by which those assertions are measured. Or, if anyone has had direct experience with a situation where this clause was a factor, or had to defend their added value.

To me, the more logical question would be "why can't you subcontract directly with the firm that will actually perform the work?" Then let them justify why they can't or shouldn't.

In reply to the original question from subs, I would be shocked if a court determined that the 52.215-23 clause was to be read into the contract via Christian Doctrine, because it was an ingrained strand of public policy. Even it it were read in, I would be even more shocked if the prime contractor would be found to have been required to flow-down a non-existent contract clause (even though the clause in question is a mandatory flow-down clause). Thus, I'm thinking "leave the poor subcontractor alone" (but do try to understand why the prime is subcontracting with it when more than 70% of the subcontracted work is itself being subcontracted to a lower tier).

We are just now seeing DCAA dig into this area and, so far, they seem to be very concerned with processes and controls to identify excessive pass-through costs at the time of proposal and post-award -- but less concerned with the flow-down aspects (as is natural, since that will be the province of the DCMA CPSR team). Based on what I'm seeing, I suggest your best course of action is to make sure your procurement manual describes how such costs are identified at the time of proposal and post-award -- including adding the clause to your list of key clauses in your contract briefs. I'm thinking that worrying about Christian Doctrine should not be your main focus.

Hope this helps.

@here_2_help. That is very helpful information. Thank you.

subs, you said that the existing contract meets the prescription in FAR 15.408(n) for inclusion of the clause 52.215-23 Limitation on Pass-Through Charges. If that means that the contract is a cost reimbursement type, I suggest again that you ask - as soon as possible - "Why can't you subcontract directly with the firm that will actually perform the work?" Then let them justify why they can't or shouldn't (see FAR 31.201-3( a ) Determining reasonableness).

You already have some managment tools to use on cost type contracts instead of having to rely only on that fairly recent (2009) clause.

@joel hoffman. I am most definitely asking that question. Just so you understand my involvement in this, I am the subcontract administrator for the prime. I asked the question about the clause, and continue to question our guys, to ensure I am properly protecting the company.