Ethical Concerns w/ DCMA DACO

Hi there. I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum.

We are dealing with a DCMA DACO within the scope of an audit. The preliminary audit had some findings and our written response is due soon. It has come to my attention that we have sent the DACO our draft response. What concerns me is that the DACO is essentially telling us what to say in our response. We have gone through several rewrites per her specific instructions, because the DACO apparently wants us to pass. That's great and all, but am I wrong in believing the DACO is compromising the integrity of the position by not being truly independent? And are we wrong in accepting this assistance? There are a number of us who are glad that the DACO is helping, but are very troubled by the level of involvement with our response.

Your wisdom would be much appreciated.

Guest Vern Edwards
What concerns me is that the DACO is essentially telling us what to say in our response.

Is what she is telling to say the truth or is it a lie or a "white lie"?

No sir, absolutely not. I should have mentioned that. I have no discomfort about what she is asking us to do. It lies solely with her level of involvement. I'm not an auditor nor have I ever been, but it seems to me that if I were managing one, I would want her to remain independent and let the contractor formulate their own response to my initial findings. She has suggested actual words and sentences verbatim, for example.

Benny, your DCMA DACO is not your auditor. She is the person who will evaluate the auditor's findings and your response, to come to the government's official position. If she is going to overturn the recommendations of the auditor, the matter may be elevated to a review board. She will have to write up the situation for review of her decision.

If your DACO expects to submit a package to a review board, she wants it to be of the highest possible quality. She wants it to clearly support her position. That may be why she's suggesting language in your response -- because she is going to highlight those sentences in her proposed final decision and in her review board package as supporting her proposed final decision. In my mind, that does not make her less independent; it makes her smart and shows she has a good understanding of the bureaucratic process of today's DCMA.

You are lucky to have such a DACO.

Hope this helps.

Has the DACO knowingly or wilfully asked your firm to provide any false or misleading information into the response that you are going to provide to the Government?

It sounds to me more like you believe the DACO is overstepping the role.

Is the DACO going to be recipient and adjudicator of this audit response? If so, you may consider whether the comments represent feedback that will prevent rejection of the audit response.