Class J&As

newanalyst

Are Class J&As used that much anymore? In doing a little research, it appears they are not. Wanted to confirm that observation, and if true, ask why they are not used.

In the current contracting environment, is it more difficult to get a class J&A approved v. an individual J&A?

Thank you...

New,

I don't know how much research you've done, but from my experience, the current contracting environment does not make it more difficult to get Class J&A's approved. Sometimes it just makes good business sense to do it on a class basis. I just did a quick search on FBO, and although you can't search specifically for "class" J&A's, they are easy to find if you know what you are looking for. From my experience, they are done to justify procuring from a peculiar manufacturer for weapon systems spare parts/components where the Government lacks sufficient data to break out any of the items. I believe you will find a preponderance of them from what I would term "inventory control point" buying activities. Typically each military service has one or two and the Defense Logistics Agency has three or four large buying activities that predominately procure spare parts. My experience is only DoD. Here's a link to one for 9 years and 1400+ parts.......

https://www.fbo.gov/index?tab=documents&tabmode=form&subtab=core&tabid=2645eba1a57e7e0f8c29d10da8f1a0c1