Voucher vs. Invoice

wvanpup

Is there a difference between an invoice and a voucher? "Invoice" is defined at FAR 2.101, but I cannot find a definition of voucher. It appears to me that in some places the terms are used interchangeably, but not always. My guess is that an invoice is for completed supplies or services, while a voucher is for interim payments (progress payments, interim payments on cost contracts, etc.). The distincition will not make a difference in what I am working on, but I do want to use the proper term.

TIA.

My experience. Invoice is what one would bill for payment with. Voucher is an internal document or documents the Government uses as the evidence to pay a bill. You might try looking in your agencies finance regualtions, policies, handbooks etc. as I suspect 'voucher" will be defined there somewhere.

Guest Vern Edwards

Vouchers, or "Public Vouchers", FAR 53.301-1034, Standard Form 1034, are documents used instead of "invoices" to seek reimbursement under cost-reimbursement and other contracts. See, generally, DCAA Audit Manual, Chapter 6. See DCAAM 6-1002:

Contractors submit reimbursement vouchers or invoices (herein referred to as vouch­ers) to obtain interim and final payment under cost-reimbursement, time-and-materials and labor-hour contracts and the cost-reimbursement portions of fixed price contracts.