Designated Tobacco Use Areas ("DTAs")

soboco

Thanks, Carl. I did actually see the Contingency contracting handbook but that was one of the ones I lost when I pushed the wrong button.

Guest Vern Edwards

Vern – Sorry for the delay in response to your last flurry of questions directed to me. I would have responded sooner but when I first read your post (#18) it was much shorter, I got busy on other things and just got caught up on the entire Forum, so I suspect you must have edited it. You asked in the reference post # above “Nuff said?” and “Want more?” and the answer is NO!

So not enough has been said, but you don't want more. Well, I'm glad you don't want more.

We are in an OCONUS location where the culture and environment sees cigarette smoking as something of an accepted pass-time! Outside the wire its deemed as OK to smoke in restaurants, public buildings, public transportation, almost anywhere! However, the recent emphasis here being placed on stopping/minimizing tobacco use on military installations is kicking up some dust (primarily from ktr's employees working on the installation). Military folks and DoD civilians pretty much stay in step with the new anti-smoking pressure (they do grouse about it, but they do comply), while quite a few ktr's folks (particularly construction crews and some service staff) are NOT so keen to comply. Some even flaunt the rule by smoking directly in front of huge "No Smoking" signs! (Most do not speak much English, let alone read it; which is excuse #1). Several ktr personnel have been repeatedly 'advised' of the designated smoking areas but continue to smoke in other than DTAs. We have tried speaking to them and have issued several written notices but they continue unabated. What recourse/actions may be available for us to realign these ktrs (and their personnel) with the DTA rules? (Note: Nothing in the contract addresses this specific issue.)

Hey, Soboco, did you ever resolve your problem or obtain the information you were looking for?

• 2 weeks later...

Joel,

Yes, but just as we got a handle on the "smoking" issue a couple more serious issues took precedence with this same ktr (but different personnel). Now we've uncovered a theft ring, sexually explicit materials, malingering, drinking alcohol at work and misuse of GFE. Several employees terminated but others only a slight tap on the wrist. This ktr has been here 20+ years, so true rot is very much evident. (Add to the mix possible abandon/disregard/top-cover by PCO. Under previous PCO approx 90+ write-ups over 5 year period, but with this PCO, only 2 in 5 years!)

Guess I should be grateful that I dont get bored at work!

BTW: Are “KO” and “CO” really acronyms? (I mean, technically, aren’t they just initials --- as they don't spell an actual word?)

I think that you are correct, soboco. Technically though, K isn't the first letter of "contracting", hence the rub with some 1102 types, I suppose. Good luck with your situation.