Interpretation of a semicolon

Need some help with the interpretation of a semicolon.

The question is in reguards to the semicolon following (i). Should the semicolon be interpreted as "and"? Does this particular section require all three requirements to be valid?

The following FAR reference reads 5.202(13)

(13) The proposed contract action--

(i) Is for an amount not expected to exceed the simplified acquisition threshold;

(ii) Will be made through a means that provides access to the notice of proposed contract action through the GPE; and

(iii) Permits the public to respond to the solicitation electronically; or

(14) The proposed contract action is made under conditions described in 6.302-3 with respect to the services of an expert to support the Federal Government in any current or anticipated litigation or dispute.

Thanks for any help on this one. We can't seem to decide.

Keith

The semicolon is merely a series separator.

But here, all three are required.

Your correct citation is FAR 5.202( a )( 13 ). You must not omit the ( a ).

All three must apply for ( 13 ) to apply. That's what the "and" means at the end of 5.202( a )( 13 )( ii ). ( i ), ( ii ), and ( iii ) must apply for ( 13 ) to apply.

The "or" at the end of 5.202( a )( 13 )( iii ) applies to the ( 1 ) through (14 ) -- any one ( 1 ) through (14 ) must apply in order for ( a ) to apply.

I hope this is helpful.

It is not the semi-colon that is significant here, but the use of the word "or" between (13) and (14). "And" is a conjunctive word. Usually when it appears in a list, it means that all items in the list must be present. Thus, all three elements in (13) must be present for (13) to apply. On the other hand, "or" is a disjunctive work. That means when it appears in a list, any of the alternatives apply.

Years - no decades - ago, Sister Mary Knuckles would say something like this: The linking words and and or show whether paragraphs are cumulative or alternative.

While, sadly, she has gone - along with much of my memory, I believe she stated a solid and enduring rule of punctuation.