I have a contract where my company has design authority over a product we're delivering to the U.S. Government. We are also delivering to them a top-level kit drawing. I've been asked if we have MRB authority. The question is to determine if we can make a use as-is disposition for material at the component level. My short answer is yes, we make that determination at the component level and although the government has not expressly granted MRB authority, we would only need their expressed authority for non-conformances at the kit level.

Please help redirect if I'm wrong. I'd also appreciate any references for further reading on the subject.

Material Review Board -

The MRB will make decisions on what to do with nonconforming material or nonconforming product, such as:

1. Use-as-is (a design change)
  2. Rework
  3. Repair (a design change)
  4. Regrade for alternative use
  5. Reject or scrap
  6. Redesign the product

siwilliams,

Yes you have implied MRB authority because you are responsible for your deliverables meeting specifications. On the other hand, the government has inspection and acceptance authority, which obviously supersedes your MRB determinations. I.e., your MRB may determine that a component is usable, but when you try to get customer buy-off, you may learn that your component is actually a boat anchor.

FWIW, I've seen joint MRBs where the government QA inspector or the COR is a (non-voting) member/observer; and I believe some contracts call for MRB reports to be submitted monthly or quarterly as a CDRL. These controls tend to keep contractors honest with respect to the use of potentially non-conforming material.

Hope this helps.