Sec. 508 Compliance for Proposals (not Deliverables)

ji20874

I know that acquisitions of Electronic and Information Technology (EIT) supplies and services must meet accessibility standards, commonly referred to as Section 508 compliant. See FAR Subpart 39.2. This talks to contractor deliverables or performance.

But what about pre-award contractor proposals? I have seen a number of solicitations with Section L or similar language allowing for (or mandating) electronic proposals (such as by e-mail) but requiring all such electronic proposals to be Sec. 508 compliant. This doesn't make sense to me.

If your agency accepts electronic (e-mail) proposals, does your agency require all pre-award proposals to be Sec. 508 compliant? Do you benefit from it?

• 4 months later...

For what it's worth, I don't see how FAR 39.2 is anywhere near applicable to accepting proposals. The contractor that built the file-exchange system through which we accept the proposals--presumablly that system was subject to the Sect 508 standards since it was a deliverable--but taking proposals from an Offeror doesn't seem pertinent to the intent behind the Rehabilitation Act or the Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board Electronic and Information Technology (EIT) Accessibility Standards. My office has recently adopted the practice of accepting proposals electronically, when appropriate (which is nearly always in my experience). Our submittal Instructions wouldn't address Section 508 unless we're acquiring EIT... See for e.g. in RFP section L at "https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=df7945c5e28c4e6b154e81dc7128d1ec&_cview=0".