Federal Research Grants

Deaner

Since the money went from one Government agency to another Government agency I would propose that you didn't receive a "grant" in the sense of 31 USC 6304 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/31/6304). ... and that the "grant" rules don't apply to you.

It looks like you've received funds that your organization will divide into PI salary (I'm assuming here that the PI is a Government employee) and a number of other actions to provide whatever support the PI needs. Those look to me like regular contract actions, that you'd execute in accordance with your agency's contracting procedures. For example, if your PI has a particular contractor in mind for a portion of the work, you'd have to justify that sole source action.

Its the same government agency. A VA grant awarded to a VA employee. The controverisal thing is that if we start messing around with the specifics of the way the application for the grant was laid out, the outcome of the research may not be favorable.

Thats how i ended up handling this issue, was processed a J&A to sole source part of the grant funding.

Deaner,

I would go with brian’s logic. Whom ever issued the grant (Grants Officer, aka GO) would be the one to administer the grant unless delegated to an Administrative Grants Officer. Contracts shouldn’t be doing administrating (decisions and approval up to the warranted grants officers).

Deaner “The grant was awarded and funded. what am i suppose to do with the grant funding.... no idea.

The VA employee (grantee) would submit documentation supporting the SF270 Request for Advance or Reimbursement to the GO for approval. Possibly following the budget proposal submitted in the grant proposal. The GO would approve payment (very simplified).