Can an IDIQ be solicited using IFB Sealed bid methos

jsprandel

I am considering soliciting an IDIQ contract using sealed bid procedures. I haven't found anything in the FAR that says I can't do this, but I have found a contract-type matix chart from one source that says I can't use the sealed bid method for an indefinite delivery contract and a chart from another source that says I can use IFB or Negotiated Methods for an indefinite delivery contract. Can anybody tell me the correct answer and explain why I can or can't use a particular method?

Guest Vern Edwards

I agree with Don. However, in order to use sealed bidding to award an IDIQ contract, the contract/orders must be priced on a firm-fixed-price or fixed-price with economic price adjustment basis. No other contract type is permitted. See FAR 14.104 and 16.102(a). If you are buying services, you cannot use sealed bidding to award an IDIQ contract under which orders will be priced on a time-and-materials, labor-hour, or cost-reimbursement basis.

Although I'm not certain, I doubt that you can award such a contract when you will establish only hourly labor rates at the time of award. If you come back and tell us that is what you want to do, I'll do some checking to see if it is permissible.

I am considering soliciting an IDIQ contract using sealed bid procedures. I haven't found anything in the FAR that says I can't do this, but I have found a contract-type matix chart from one source that says I can't use the sealed bid method for an indefinite delivery contract and a chart from another source that says I can use IFB or Negotiated Methods for an indefinite delivery contract. Can anybody tell me the correct answer and explain why I can or can't use a particular method?

Depending upon whatever pricing scheme you are trying to establish and whether this will be a Single Award Task Order Contract or Multiple Award TOC, I question why you would use an IFB to establish pricing. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.