Congressionally Mandated Long-Lead Procurement Contract

trplyr

I'm studying up on Undefinitized Contract Actions (UCAs).

At DFARS 217.7402 Exemptions- Congressionally Mandated long-lead procurement contracts is listed.

What is this?

What would be an example?

Why is it exempt?

Thanks.

I know what the term means. It's when Congress mandates ordering items with very long lead times. An example is the satellite program called "Advanced Extremely High Frequency Satellite Vehicle." In that case the needed appropriations are provided over at least a couple years.

My guess is the acquisition is so big, complicated and costly that definitization of the letter contract will obviously take more than 180 days.

I'm studying up on Undefinitized Contract Actions (UCAs).

At DFARS 217.7402 Exemptions- Congressionally Mandated long-lead procurement contracts is listed.

What is this?

What would be an example?

Why is it exempt?

Thanks.

formerfed explained what it is, and gave an example. It is exempt from UCA requirements/restrictions because it is never inteded to be definitized on its own, but only as a part of the full production contract for which the long-lead items are being procured. This full production contract will subsume the long-lead contract into a single definitized vehicle.

Congress does not act as the contracting officer, but it provides authority for the contracting officer to order and fund less than a fully defined product.