Use of a PMO contractor to coordinate other prime contractors

Boof

The idea is that each contract would have a COR assigned (with GTMs to assist in some cases) but they would not do the day to day management of the contractors. The PMO company would. If company B fails a checklist, the PMO would contact the COR of B to take corrective action. If maintenance company D fails to repair on time, the PMO would contact the COR of D and report it for his action. If the COR of Logistics company A needs to depot overhaul some high priced parts, he can have the PMO subcontract the work like the prime does now. Invoices from all companies would be obtained by the PMO, QC'd against the specific contract and verified to the point that the COR can just approve or reject them. (CORs approve invoices in our agency). Provide any QA and schedule support requested by any of the CORs and approved by the PMO COR.

Like I said, I don't like this idea but the requirements office got sold on it and I am trying to either get facts to push back through my management or change my mind about it being a silly idea.

Boof,

One of the problems you seem to have is that you think that the PMO contractor would be performing inherently governmental functions. Relevant to this discussion, FAR 7.503( c )(12)(v) lists the following as an inherently governmental function:

"Administering contracts (including ordering changes in contract performance or contract quantities, taking action based on evaluations of contractor performance, and accepting or rejecting contractor products or services);"

From what you described, it doesn't sound like the PMO contractor would be doing the things in parentheses. If that's true, then what function(s) would the PMO contractor be performing that you believe are inherently governmental?

• 2 weeks later...

One scenario to think of when it goes bad- what happens when one of the major primes turns in an REA or Claim due to the actions/delay of the PMO Contractor? The fingerpointing and blame will go around for days.

And from the other side of fingerpointing--when the PMO Contractor gets evaluated and the other major primes/CORs/COs accuse the PMO of not playing nicely in the sandbox with all the other primes for actually enforcing due dates, conformity, or schedule.

You may also run into conflicts of interest in the reporting structure. Especially when technical evaluations or contractor performance is involved.

While not entirely your model- you may want to look at what DOE did and see if they have any lessons learned available about their stepchild, Hanford. Before it was one major contract. Now it's farmed out to 3-4 "Major" primes to do the actual cleanup/remediation work, and one service integrator. The Service Integrator is often the redhead child in the model.