Options within a BPA Call

biscuit

We have a BPA issued under FAR Part 8 for software maintenance with several options years and we're in the last option year. Throughout each option year we're in the practice of issuing calls with firm requirements and also including option items within the same call due to lack of funding. When I questioned why we didn't issue a separate Call when funding became available (instead of including options) I was told that a call is a "contract" and "contracts" can have options. I'm not use to seeing this practice but I can't find anything in the regs that say we can't do this. Thoughts/comments appreciated.

We have a BPA issued under FAR Part 8 for software maintenance with several options years and we're in the last option year. Throughout each option year we're in the practice of issuing calls with firm requirements and also including option items within the same call due to lack of funding. When I questioned why we didn't issue a separate Call when funding became available (instead of including options) I was told that a call is a "contract" and "contracts" can have options. I'm not use to seeing this practice but I can't find anything in the regs that say we can't do this. Thoughts/comments appreciated.

The BPA is placed against a Multiple Award Schedule contract. Orders, not calls, are placed under FAR Part 8 BPAs. Orders may include options:

See item 26 here: http://www.gsa.gov/p.../content/200369.

“26. Options on Orders Placed Against GSA Multiple Award Schedule (MAS) Contracts

Options may be included on orders placed against GSA Multiple Award Schedule (MAS) contracts, provided that the options are clearly stated in the requirement and are evaluated as part of the ordering activity's best value determination. Such options may be exercised on GSA Schedule contract orders, provided that:

• Funds are available;
  • The requirement covered by the option fulfills an existing government need;
  • Prior to exercising an option, the ordering activity ensures that it is still in the government's best interest, i.e., that the option is the most advantageous method of fulfilling the government's need, price, and other factors considered; and
  • The options do not extend beyond the period of the Schedule contract, including option year periods.

The length of the order and the risk to the ordering activity could be considered as part of the overall evaluation of best value.”