RDT&E Appropriation for A&AS

mm6ch

Question: What type of appropriation is typically used for an A&AS service that is supporting a Research and Development effort. There are elements of the PWS that are O&M in nature however, the proponderance of the tasks are R&D and the overraching objective of the PWS is one that leans towards Research and Development. I've received conflicting advice; some believe O&M is the only appropriation that should be used for A&AS services. Finally, would the O&M activities be a necessary expense of the larger R&D effort...or am I out in left field trying to apply the Necessary Expense doctrine in this situation.

On an aside, while researching this topic I ran across paragraph #2 below in the 2012 Fiscal Law Deskbook. Could someone provide a brief expanation for the Election Doctrine and/or situations where they have applied it.

Any advice? Thank you

-------

FMR. Volume 2B Chapter 5-5

#1- Para. G. Budget Activity 6, RDT&E Management Support. This budget activity includes research, development, test and evaluation efforts and funds to sustain and/or modernize the installations or operations required for general research, development, test and evaluation. Test ranges, military construction, maintenance support of laboratories, operation and maintenance of test aircraft and ships, and studies and analyses in support of the RDT&E program are funded in this budget activity. Costs of laboratory personnel, either in-house or contractor operated, would be assigned to appropriate projects or as a line item in the Basic Research, Applied Research, or ATD program areas, as appropriate. Military construction costs directly related to major development programs are included.

#2- FISCAL LAW DESKBOOK 2012- Pg 27

Election Doctrine: The GAO’s Election Doctrine states that if two or more appropriations are equally available, then the agency may choose which appropriation to use. Once the agency chooses a certain appropriation for that type of acquisition, however, the agency must continue to use the same appropriations for all acquisitions of that type – i.e., once the agency makes its choice of appropriation, they are bound by that choice. See section V.B. below for further discussion.