Recommended Training for GS - 1105 Purchasing Agents?

GOVCO

Guest Vern Edwards

Instead of looking for a "training program for 1105s," look for courses about the kinds of work that 1105s do, such as simplified acquisition, ordering from GSA schedules, and the like.

There are so few 1105s that I doubt anyone has a "structured program for 1105s," although I suppose it's possible.

With all the stuff about GSA schedules available online you need a training course? Really?

That is exactly my point. With 5 pages worth of threads under the "Schedules, GWACS, MACs, IDIQs" forum, it may be benificial to capture an overview, rather than dive into specific situations. It was just a thought I had at 12:13 this afternoon.

Guest Vern Edwards

You shouldn't use this forum for basic study of GSA schedules. Instead, you should start with FAR Subpart 8.4 and your agency FAR supplement and then go to the GSA MAS webpages. Download and read the Multiple Award Schedules Program Owner's Manual, http://www.fgdc.gov/...ers-manual.pdf. You should also read recent GAO and COFC decisions about protests of GSA orders. You can find some of them by Googling <GAO gas schedule protest>. You can also find them by scanning the lists of decisions at www.pubklaw.com.

In addition, there are commercially available books about schedules. Take a look at GSA Schedule Handbook, 2011 - 2012, by John Chierichella and Jonathan Aronie, available at Amazon.com. Unfortunately, such books tend to be pricey. Get your office to buy some copies. See also Briefing Paper April 2004, "The Federal Supply Schedules Program," by Stafford and Yang. The Briefing Papers are published by Thomson Reuters (West). There's lots of stuff out there.

There are quite a few commercially offered courses about GSA schedules. You can find them through Google. But they cost money, and in my opinion you won't learn as much at those courses as you will by doing some diligent research and reading. It often makes sense to take a class, but only when you will learn something in class that you can't learn on your own.