Bank charges an allowable cost under FAR 31.201-2?

Does someone have experience with approving Bank charges as an allowable cost under FAR 31.201-2

I have been asked to approves such charges for some STTA and LTTA personal and was wondering if this is an allowable cost and if so how would you justify this? I have not found any direct reference in FAR 31.201-2.

The personal traveling overseas incur bank charges when they withdraw cash or use their credit cards to pay a hotel bill. These charges usually amount to around $50 total. The cost are basically work-related.

Rose2010,

Are these charges for currency conversion, or just the normal ATM charges? If the former, I usually claim them as allowable; if the latter I usually do not claim them as they are more in the nature of personal expenses.

Hope this helps.

Hi George_wickersham,

I agree with you that FTR Chapter 301-12.1 states that transaction fees for ATM use are reimbursable. But that's as far as I can go.

Consider, if you will,

1. The Travel Cost Principle at 31.205-46 does NOT "require compliance with the FTR for related travel expenses". Instead, it states that the FTR lodging and M&IE ceilings establish amounts considered to be reasonable for contractor employee travel reimbursement.

2. 31.205-46(a)(4) specifically limits the parts of the FTR that are applicable to contractors. 301-12.1 is not among the FTR sections made applicable to contractor travel by the FAR.

3. Even if 301-12.1 were made applicable by the FAR, it would not be applicable to TDY travel reimbursement. 301-12.1 pertains to reimbursable expenses related to Federal employee Income Tax Reimbursement Allowance (ITRA) -- which is associated with a long-term assignment to a single duty station, and NOT to TDY travel.

Thus, in my view, you cannot support the allowability of contractor employee ATM transactions fees by citation to FTR 301-12.1, at least for routine TDY-type travel.

Hope this helps.