TO Option After Basic IDIQ Expiration

Timbuk2

I have been doing some research on the subject and getting nowhere. DAU AAP had a similar question but didn't really provide a helpful answer. I have looked though the IDIQ ordering guide and the answer to my question is not clear. The FAR is mute on this specific subject. My next step is to contact the KO but first wanted to pose my question here. I appreciate any input/comments you can provide.

QUESTION: Can a Task Order include an option period that would need to be exercised after the basic IDIQ has expired?

Generally, a task order's period of performance can extend beyond the ordering period of the parent IDIQ contract.

You need to take this basic principle and apply it to your situation. Then, you'll have your answer.

What is everyone’s view on the practice of not entering a date (i.e. 15 June 2014) or a period of time (90 days after the end of the ordering period) in 52.216-22(d) but entering something along the lines of, "end of the final task order's period of performance”?

I'm not a big fan of using language similar to the above as I feel there should be a definitive end to the period of time of a contractor's obligations under a basic contract; setting scope of the contract with regard to time. However, my current command and my previous command have made it policy language similar to the above stated.

Echoing what Vern said earlier, I don’t think there is a prohibition on what you insert in 52.216-22(d). But considering a scenario where a non-severable order is issued on the last day of a contract’s ordering period (say the ordering period was 5 years) with a period of performance of 3 years for the order, the contractor’s obligations have stretched 8 years under a contract that was solicited with a 5 year ordering period. Not to mention if options are used on the order.

Just curious what everyone’s view would be on the above?