Purchasing Software Maintenance in Advance

Can somebody help me out here?

I have a requirement for Software maintenance services. One is for Cisco SmartNet Mainteance, and the other is a VMWare 1 Year Support Agreement...both of these are purchases under Army CHESS..

We are deciding how to set up the invoicing. All the information we can find seems to indicate that these acquisitions are services, which according to the FAR, have to be set up to be paid in arrears (post monthly/ quarterly)...

To be honest, I can't really seem to find anything solid that says otherwise. However I have a sneaking suspicion that software maintenance is routinely purhcased and paid for in advance all across the Government. On FBO, I do not see any other agencies mention post-monthly billing....In addition, the vendors themselves who routinely deal with the Government do not seem to be familiar with post-monthly billing. Most of them will charge extra to set it up that way...

All of this leads me to believe that I am missing some guidance which excuses Software Maintenance Agreements from post paid invoicing. I called the Army CHESS and GSA IT Schedule 70 help desks, but they were clueless to what I was talking about...(which didn't surprise me)...

I did find this link from a GSA Blogger(?)...http://justgsa.typepad.com/just_gsa/2009/03/gsa-refresh-23-rumorsoftware-maintenance-billing-defined.html

However it says "according to a rumor"....but doesn't really give any clear cut instructions..

Can anyone help??? Thanks!!

Here is what the GSA E-Buy website says about the topic:

"(SIN 132 32) Software maintenance as a product includes the publishing of bug/defect fixes via patches and updates/upgrades in function and technology to maintain the operability and usability of the software product. It may also include other no charge support that is included in the purchase price of the product in the commercial marketplace. No charge support includes items such as user blogs, discussion forums, on-line help libraries and FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions), hosted chat rooms, and limited telephone, email and/or web-based general technical support for users self diagnostics. Software Maintenance as a product is billed at the time of purchase.

(SIN 132 34) Software maintenance as a service creates, designs, implements, and/or integrates customized changes to software that solve one or more problems and is not included with the price of the software. Software maintenance as a service includes person-to-person communications regardless of the medium used to communicate: telephone support, on-line technical support, customized support, and/or technical expertise which are charged commercially. Software maintenance as a service is billed in arrears in accordance with 31 U.S.C. 3324."

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys for the late response. I have been mulling over this issue for a while.

Anywho, jtolli, based on the GSA definitions you provided above it would appear that Cisco Smartnet Maintenance would actually be a product then.

What stands out for me is the "no-charge support". If the the maintenance includes no-charge support within its price, then it would be a product. However if support was provided and on a charge-per-incident, then it would be classified as a service...(possibly a Help Desk which charges for each ticket it closes out?)

Based on this standard, mostly everything would be a product then, which means we can pay up front and avoid the messy "payment in arrears" situation.

What does everyone think? Your opinions are appreciated!

You should get an opinion from your servicing legal office; as you have recognized, the timing of payment has statutory and fiscal implications. You may want to read this: Matter of: United States Department of Interior-- Purchase of Warranties in Advance

http://www.gao.gov/products/476451#mt=e-report

A 1993 case, but still a righteous one.

On the other hand, you may want to read this: Matter of: Authority to Make Advance Payments for Technical Support Associated with Computer Software Packages

http://www.gao.gov/products/403305#mt=e-report

A 1995 case, but also righteous.

The point is, fiscal issues are almost always nuanced and extremely fact dependent. Talk to your attorney.