National Security Waiver

I found this at 1 PM on 10/8/22 and posted it on the Home Page and here.   If you want to know why, see the POGO explanation..  

Project on Government Oversight

Use of Chinese Material in F-35 Highlights Pentagon’s Complexity Problem.  (September 26, 2022)

You can read about it here:  DefenseNews.

Statement by Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment William LaPlante on F-35 Waiver
Oct. 8, 2022 (About 1 PM Eastern)

Attributable to Dr. William LaPlante, Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment –

Today, I signed the National Security Waiver that allows DoD to accept Lot 13 and Lot 14 F-35 aircraft containing non-compliant specialty metals in Honeywell Integrated Power Package Turbomachines. Acceptance of the aircraft is necessary for national security interests. This determination applies to a total of 126 F-35 aircraft awaiting delivery or to be delivered under the Lot 12-14 production contract. This determination applies from the date of my approval through the acceptance date of the last aircraft delivered under that contract, which is currently projected for October 31, 2023.

Yes, I read that article. Sheesh!! This is a plane that may be used in conflict with China or it’s Allies. 

Example: “…A magnetic component inside the F-35 contains an alloy of cobalt and samarium manufactured in China. Pentagon leaders were quick to say the presence of the alloy did not compromise the aircraft since it posed no risk to flight safety and did not transmit any information. While this latest development has received plenty of attention, the presence of Chinese-made components, and magnets in particular, is not new to the program. Frank Kendall, while serving as the Pentagon’s top acquisitions official during the Obama Administration, signed waivers to include Chinese-made parts in the F-35 in 2012 and 2013.”

I also wonder, when they will need spare parts, what if the Chinese either won’t supply them or worse, sabotage or compromise a part? Of course, who is going to trace the origin of every spare part? According to the article, DCMA couldn’t keep track of all the original parts…

Do they check every part for radiation, for example?

If they can loose COVID 19 upon the whole world, what else would they do?

Does anyone remember the infamous new American Embassy fiasco in Moscow in the 1980’s? The Soviets built the new embassy. They embedded so many bugs in it that it had to be torn down and rebuilt by American suppliers and contractors from pre-fabricated materials.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1990/06/18/unbeatable-bugs-the-moscow-embassy-fiasco/5bb6dcbf-0a61-4948-a953-e2d81085ed05/

Meanwhile we have been building new Embassy compounds and Defense facilities all over the world. How many more are bugged?   

17 minutes ago, here_2_help said:

Citation needed, please.

@here_2_helpRegarding the origin of COVID-19?

See Science, "The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan was the early epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic," by Worobey, and 17 other named authors, 26 July 2022, pp. 951-959. The summary:

As 2019 turned into 2020, a coronavirus spilled over from wild animals into people, sparking what has become one of the best documented pandemics to afflict humans. However, the origins of the pandemic in December 2019 are controversial. Worobey et al. amassed the variety of evidence from the City of Wuhan, China, where the first human infections were reported. These reports confirm that most of the earliest human cases centered around the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market. Within the market, the data statistically located the earliest human cases to one section where vendors of live wild animals congregated and where virus-positive environmental samples concentrated. In a related report, Pekar et al. found that genomic diversity before February 2020 comprised two distinct viral lineages, A and B, which were the result of at least two separate cross-species transmission events into humans (see the Perspective by Jiang and Wang). The precise events surrounding virus spillover will always be clouded, but all of the circumstantial evidence so far points to more than one zoonotic event occurring in Huanan market in Wuhan, China, likely during November–December 2019.

However, being an "early epicenter" is not the same as being the origin.

Science is the peer-reviewed academic journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. It has been published since 1880.

I subscribe to Science. So should all who want to be informed about scientific developments.

I have sent you the article.

5 hours ago, Vern Edwards said:

@here_2_helpRegarding the origin of COVID-19?

See Science, "The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan was the early epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic," by Worobey, and 17 other named authors, 26 July 2022, pp. 951-959. The summary:

However, being an "early epicenter" is not the same as being the origin.

Science is the peer-reviewed academic journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. It has been published since 1880.

I subscribe to Science. So should all who want to be informed about scientific developments.

I have sent you the article.

That's not what I was looking for, Vern. I was hoping Joel could point me to the source of his assertion that the Chinese government "loosed" the virus on the world--implying intention.

1 hour ago, bob7947 said:

Thanks, Bob. I will read them when I can.

Maybe we let them hack us. The F-35 is such a disappointment that copying the design could either bankrupt them or set them back. Maybe we can rehack their fixes of flaws, since we know that secrets are showing up in their design.

Thanks a lot, Obama. 🤪

10 hours ago, Vern Edwards said:

@joel hoffmanWhy are you thanking Obama? Why the irony? What did he do that you are "thanking" him for?

A 2014 article about F-35 secrets showing up in China’s F-20 Stealth Fighter:  

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/13/f-35-secrets-now-showing-chinas-stealth-fighter/