A Poll of Wifcon's Grit

WifWaf

Grit Scale  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What level of grit do you have at work?

• 0.0-0.99
    • 1.0-1.99
    • 2.0-2.99
    • 3.0-3.99
    • 4.0-5.0

Grit is defined in the field of Positive Psychology as follows.

"Grit is passion and perseverance for long-term goals.

"One way to think about grit is to consider what grit isn’t.

"Grit isn’t talent. Grit isn’t luck. Grit isn’t how intensely, for the moment, you want something.

"Instead, grit is about having what some researchers call an 'ultimate concern' – a goal you care about so much that it organizes and gives meaning to almost everything you do."

To see where you, as a contracts manager/analyst, fall on the grit scale, take this ten-question survey backed by the University of Pennsylvania and report back your results in this poll.  When you answer questions, think about the way you are at work, not necessarily at home.

https://angeladuckworth.com/grit-scale/

To learn a little more about the survey designer’s research, check out this from her FAQ.  Know that she and her instructor, Martin Seligman, Ph.D, are from a Master of Applied Positive Psychology program - “applied” being like the vocational school of colleges.  

“Does the message of grit imply that poverty and inequality don’t matter?

“At a recent conference, I sat down next to a sociologist. She knew my work, and it didn’t take long for her to express extreme disdain—even anger—for what she called the grit message. ‘What’s that,’ I asked? ‘Well, put it this way,’ she said. ‘I happen to think that poverty and inequality matter a heck of a lot more than grit.’ I thought for a moment. Then I said, ‘I see your point.’

“If you pit grit against structural barriers to achievement, you may well decide that grit is less worthy of our attention. But I think that’s the right answer to the wrong question.

“Caring about how to grow grit in our young people—no matter their socioeconomic background—doesn’t preclude concern for things other than grit. For example, I’ve spent a lot of my life in urban classrooms, both as a teacher and as a researcher. I know how much the expertise and care of the adult at the front of the room matter. And I know that a child who comes to school hungry, or scared, or without glasses to see the chalkboard, is not ready to learn. Grit alone is not going to save anyone.

“But the importance of the environment is two-fold. It’s not just that you need opportunity in order to benefit from grit. It’s also that the environments our children grow up in profoundly influence their grit and every other aspect of their character.

“This is the grit message in my words: Grit may not be sufficient for success, but it sure is necessary. If we want our children to have a shot at a productive and satisfying life, we adults should make it our concern to provide them with the two things all children deserve: challenges to exceed what they were able to do yesterday and the support that makes that growth possible.

“So, the question is not whether we should concern ourselves with grit or structural barriers to achievement. In the most profound sense, both are important, and more than that, they are intertwined.”