Posting Requirements

PATRICK3

I won't answer your "...must I..." question, but how about we make it a "...should I..." question?  Maybe resoliciting more broadly on SAM.GOV will get you better prices closer to your IGCE.  If you have a credible IGCE at less than $25K, why would you want to pay $10-15K more?

27 minutes ago, PATRICK3 said:

If you have a commercial buy and the IGCE was less than $25,000 and you posted it on your local agency website and not the GPE, but the quotes came in 10-15 thousand more than the IGCE, must I resolicit the requirements on SAM.GOV? Thanks 

Are you asking if you now expect the contract action to exceed $25,000, must you resolicit on SAM.Gov? I agree with ji.

“5.101 Methods of disseminating information.

(a) As required by the Small Business Act (  15 U.S.C.637(e)) and the Office of Federal Procurement Policy Act (  41 U.S.C.1708), contracting officers must disseminate information on proposed contract actions as follows:

(1) For proposed contract actions expected to exceed $25,000, by synopsizing in the GPE (see  5.201).

(2) For proposed contract actions expected to exceed $15,000, but not expected to exceed $25,000, by displaying in a public place, or by any appropriate electronic means, an unclassified notice of the solicitation or a copy of the solicitation satisfying the requirements of 5.207(c). The notice must include a statement that all responsible sources may submit a response which, if timely received, must be considered by the agency. The information must be posted not later than the date the solicitation is issued, and must remain posted for at least 10 days or until after quotations have been opened, whichever is later.”

However,

1. Is the basis for the government estimate realistic?

2. Can you determine why the quotes are so high? Perhaps something in the solicitation led the respondents to a misinterpretation ? Mistake in the solicitation? If IGE is realistic, how about trying to resolve the discrepancy?

You might be surprised at why the prices are so high.

We saved over $5 million once on a large construction project award through discussions. $2 million was saved by making one change to how a foundation requirement was priced that eliminated contingencies (we unit priced unknown rock excavation and dewatering.  In the end there was a further $1million underrun). And we saved $3 million when we found a competing manufacturer source for some very large installed equipment that met the salient requirements . 

Edited by joel hoffman

5 minutes ago, PATRICK3 said:

@joel hoffmanand @ji20874 I totally understand your statement, but what if it's $26,000? I'm just asking in general terms, would you then repost it? It does state "expected to exceed", but we never expected it to do that. Costs slightly changed a bit. Just a question. Thanks

Why pay $10-15 more than the estimate just to get it awarded, at face value without some investigation of the basis for both the estimate and the pricing?

Yes, you expected it not to exceed $25k. You might not necessarily have to resolicit but why are the quotes about double the estimate? 

3 minutes ago, PATRICK3 said:

Again I get that and I agree, my point is from a Posting Requirement standpoint, does that matter? If everything checks out and it's simply because prices are higher for everyone, would you Post it again? Yes or no. Thanks @joel hoffman

Like, ji said… If you check everything out and the quotes appear to be reasonable maybe not.
Let’s see, quotes aren’t offers, so can you offer less than $26k?

Yes, I think so.I don’t think you’d get in “trouble”,for an award at $26k if you think that is about the best you can get.

2 hours ago, PATRICK3 said:

If you have a commercial buy and the IGCE was less than $25,000 and you posted it on your local agency website and not the GPE, but the quotes came in 10-15 thousand more than the IGCE, must I resolicit the requirements on SAM.GOV? Thanks 

I think you complied with FAR 5.101(a). I don't know of a requirement to republicize if your quotes come in greater than you expected (and greater than $25k).