Broken One-Step process

RichD

Ok so in the midst of an acquisition. The customer stated it would be a one step.

After initial submissions - 2 bidders we were both told the government added additional activities to cost and resubmit.

This in our view would be a traditional pricing exercise for the new work - we believed that we COULD NOT go back and alter the rates etc as this was still a one-step.

Lost by a VERY SMALL AMMOUNT on a large contract and no wondering if they broke the one-step or if we should have BAFO'ed or initial submission.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

21 hours ago, RichD said:

Ok so in the midst of an acquisition. The customer stated it would be a one step.

After initial submissions - 2 bidders we were both told the government added additional activities to cost and resubmit.

21 hours ago, RichD said:

This in our view would be a traditional pricing exercise for the new work - we believed that we COULD NOT go back and alter the rates etc as this was still a one-step.

Lost by a VERY SMALL AMMOUNT on a large contract and no wondering if they broke the one-step or if we should have BAFO'ed or initial submission.

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Please slow down now and explain this scenario.  Start with your first sentence.  “In the midst of an acquisition the customer stated…”    ???? What type of Acquisition for what type of  work or services? What do you mean by “one step”? When and how did the government describe the “one step”? Was there simply an amendment to the solicitation after submission of bids? Proposals? Quotes? that changed the methodology from ??? to ??? and requested a resubmission? What was the specific wording regarding “resubmit”?

Two “bidders” ? Was this an RFP or an IFB? Was this “told” to you during discussions or simply by a letter or other written means such as an amendment?

You said ”This in our view would be a traditional pricing exercise for the new work - we believed that we COULD NOT go back and alter the rates etc as this was still a one-step.” I’m trying to make sense of this. Are you saying that you didn’t think that you could revise your pricing for the entire effort, but just add pricing for the added work? Still don’t understand the “one step” .

“Lost by a VERY SMALL AMMOUNT on a large contract and no [now?] wondering if they broke the one-step or if we should have BAFO'ed or [our?] initial submission.” 
How did the government request a revised offer or bid? I don’t know what you mean by “broke the one step”. Do you think that you were only allowed to revise your proposal or bid by adding the price for the additional work?

I think I get the gist of your basic problem - you didn’t think that you could revise your entire price, rather you were under the impression that you were simply adding $ for additional work. What gave you that impression?

See a dictionary definition of “resubmit” at https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/resubmit

Basically -resubmit means to “submit again”. It would be interesting to know whether this was a public bid opening (you said that you were a “bidder”) or a competitive negotiated type of acquisition where the initial submission was not made public. 

I think that the original poster has checked out. Apparently,  last checked in within an hour of their post.